The dog days of summer are nearly at an end, however, the Stray Rescue mission continues. Due to the recent heat wave, the staff of Stray Rescue received an unprecedented amount of calls for abandoned dogs. As a result the shelter is filled to capacity, with animal rescues continuing on a daily basis.
|An oil painting of "Pietra" by artist Michelle Streiff is one of the works in the Urban Wanderers exhibit at SLUMA.|
Please help Stray Rescue of St. Louis as they offer shelter and a chance at a forever home for dogs that have been found in deplorable conditions, the victims of unspeakable acts of cruelty.
The Saint Louis University Museum of Art will wrap up their summer exhibit celebrating the work of Stray Rescue of St. Louis with a special event "Urban Wanderers: The Tail End" from 11 a.m-4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28.
"Urban Wanderers: The Tail End" will offer a final opportunity to personally view the art that inspired area artists to paint, sculpt and photograph an abandoned pit bull. The rescued animals have used their paws, tails and noses to create "personalized" works of art. The artwork in the exhibition is available for silent auction at http://blacktiestl.com/auctions. All proceeds support Stray Rescue of St. Louis.
Closing day festivities include:
- A book signing by Randy Grim, author and founder of Stray Rescue of St. Louis.
- An appearance by St. Louis Mayor (and SLU alumnus) Francis Slay.
- A presentation by noted dog trainer and Stray Rescue director of operations, John Garcia, star of National Geographic's "Dogtown." In 2008, Mr. Garcia and his wife, McKenzie came to national prominence when they worked with 22 pit bulls rescued from Michael Vick's dog-fighting ring. The dogs were brought to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah, where Mr. Garcia was a dog trainer and co-manager of the sanctuary's Dogtown program.
- An adoption event featuring Stray Rescue dogs, including a few of the pit bulls that created "works of arf" for the Urban Wanderers exhibition.
- Music by Deejay Josh Levi.
- Complementary Anheuser-Busch products.
Click here for more information or call (314)977-2666.