Dos and Don'ts Tips for Test Anxiety
Regardless of whether or not you suffer from test anxiety, these tips will help you to become as confident as possible before your exam.
- Don't cram for an exam. The amount you learn won't be worth the stress.
- Don't think of yourself or the test in a negative sense.
- Don't stay up late studying the night before. You need the sleep. Begin studying a week in advance if possible.
- Don't spend time with classmates who generate stress for you on the test day.
- Don't take those last few moments before the test for last minute cramming. Try to relax and spend that time reading the newspaper or some other distraction.
- Don't arrive early for the exam if that causes additional stress!
- Do remind yourself that the test is only a test.
- Do focus on integrating details into main ideas.
- Do reward yourself after the test with food or a movie or some other treat.
- Do something relaxing the last hour before the test.
- Do tell yourself that you will do your best on the test, and that will be enough!
These tips and more are available at Penn State University Learning Center's website.