Teen Nutrition and Health
A discussion of healthy nutrition for teens led by a registered dietician introduces students to what is needed to achieve an overall healthy eating pattern. The program focuses on the DASH diet, MyPyramid.gov, sensible weight control, nutrition for sports/fitness, on-the-go eating, body image/eating disorders and vegetarian diets. The program also discusses diseases that are related to obesity and improper nutrition.
*A professional facilitator utilizes human specimens to demonstrate the effects of poor diet and nutrition on the body during the program.
|$250.00 per Program
High School and Middle School
Scheduled Upon Request
Mutually agreed upon dates during academic year
Mutually agreed upon time during school hours
National Science Education Standards:
- HEALTH NPH-H.K-5.5 USING COMMUNICATION SKILLS TO PROMOTE HEALTH
Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
- NPH-H.K-5.1 HEALTH PROMOTION AND DISEASE PREVENTION
Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- NPH-H.K-5.2 HEALTH INFORMATION, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Students will identify characteristics of valid health information and health-promoting products and services.
- SCIENCE NS.K-5.6 PERSONAL AND SOCIAL PERSPECTIVES
As a result of activities in grades K-4, all students should develop understanding of personal health.
- Goal 4 Students will acquire the knowledge and skills to make decisions and act as responsible members of society.
- 7. Identify and apply practices that preserve and enhance the safety and health of self and others
- Health/Physical Education knowledge 2. Principles and practices of physical and mental health ( such as personal health habits, nutrition, stress management)
- 3. Diseases and methods for prevention, treatment, and control
- 5. Methods used to assess health, reduce risk factors, and avoid high-risk behaviors ( such as violence, tobacco, alcohol and other drug use)