Nominate Faculty for the James H. Korn Award
The Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning will accept nominations for the award until Friday, May 24.
The Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning is now accepting nominations for the 2013 James H. Korn Scholarship of Teaching and Learning award.
One of the goals of the CTTL is to promote faculty inquiry and scholarly research on teaching and learning. In 2006, the Center established the James H. Korn Award for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in recognition of psychology professor emeritus Jim Korn's many contributions to research on teaching and learning.
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) involves asking questions about teaching activities and student learning; answering those questions by assessing student learning and effectiveness of teaching strategies; and publicly sharing results of this inquiry in a setting that invites peer review.
Examples of SoTL research include:
- Implementation of a new teaching strategy and documenting its effectiveness;
- Documentation of development and implementation of an interdisciplinary teaching approach;
- Research on the effectiveness of integrating service learning, or a specific technology into a course.
Criteria for award are:
- Nominees must be current full-time faculty members at Saint Louis University. Note: a team of individuals or a department may be nominated as long as at least one member of the team is currently a full-time faculty member at SLU.
- Nominees have conducted research on teaching and student learning. Examples of SoTL research are given above.
- The nominated research must have been conducted at SLU.
- Results of research were disseminated to peers through means such as publication, conference presentation or poster session, invited presentation, departmental or school symposium.
- Previous recipients of this award are ineligible to be awarded a second time.
In addition to self-nominations, nominations are encouraged from colleagues who are knowledgeable about the nominated faculty member's work. Nominees selected as finalists will be asked to submit more detail on the SoTL project, as well as a
current curriculum vita to the selection committee.
To make a nomination email or mail Gina Merys, Ph.D., at email@example.com or at Paul C. Reinert, S.J. Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning, second floor, Pius XII Memorial Library. The deadline for nominations is Friday, May 24.
Nominations must include the following information:
- Name(s) and contact information of person(s) nominated for the award. Include email address and academic department.
- Name and contact information of the person making the nomination.
- Briefly describe the relevant project(s) and/or scholarly work in which the nominee has been involved. Provide sufficient detail to allow the selection committee to determine whether or not to include nominee(s) in the group of finalists for the award.
The awardee will be honored at a ceremony hosted by the CTTL in fall 2013.