Saint Louis University will host its annual Convocation exercise during Welcome Week on Friday, August 26. The ceremony will feature one full-time undergraduate student speaker as well as distinguished faculty and administration.
The Convocation student speaker will be chosen by a selection committee, based on the student's experience at Saint Louis University and proposed message to convey to incoming students and their families.
The speech should capture the undergraduate experience for students at Saint Louis University.
To be considered, students must submit a draft of their 2-3 minute speech in writing (approximately 500-600 words). You might reflect on the following questions before you write your speech:
- What have you gained from your time at SLU?
- How will your experience at SLU impact your future?
- What advice would you give students for their first-year at SLU?
- What makes SLU, a Catholic, Jesuit university, distinctive from other schools?
- What does being a Billiken mean?
- What does it mean to be a member of the SLU community?
- What are the main points that you want to leave with new students and their families?
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Well-roundedness of student experience & involvement on campus
- Content of speech
- Organization of speech
- Appropriateness for New Student and Family Convocation
- Ability to stay within time limit
Students applying for this honor must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0, be in good standing with the Office of Student Conduct, and be on campus the week before classes start in the fall, beginning Monday, August 22, for final preparations in advance of Convocation.
Finalists will be asked to present their speeches in mid-April for final selection of the Convocation speaker. The selected speaker will work with university staff to refine their speech prior to Convocation.
To apply, please submit materials including the following:
- Applicant name
- Email address & phone number
- Major, Year in School, & GPA
- List of involvement on campus & community
- Draft of your 2-3 minute speech in writing (approximately 500-600 words)
Application materials are due by 5 p.m. Friday, April 8, to the Student Involvement Center (Busch Student Center 319) or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.