Amber Johnson, Ph.D.
Intercultural Communication; Human Communication & Culture; Intergroup Dialogue; First Year Dialogue; Stereotyping & Bias in the Mass Media; Global Media; Photojournalism
Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University, 2006
M.A., Saint Louis University, 2002
- Social justice and arts activism
- Identity negotiation
- Mediated sexualities
- Popular culture
- Rhetorical ethnography
- Intercultural communication
Publications and Media Placements
Johnson, A. (2017). From Academe, to the Theatre, to the Streets: My Autocritography
of Canonical Exception and Aesthetic Cleansing in the wake of Ferguson. Qualitative
Inquiry, first published online January 9th, 2017, 1-13.
Johnson, A. (2015). The Face of Civility: Engaging Critical Pedagogy through Hypermodality. Qualitative Inquiry. DOI: 1077800415605062
Johnson, A. (2015). “The Most Dangerous Place for an African American is in the Womb.”: Reproductive Justice and Mediated Anti-Abortion Rhetoric. Journal of Contemporary Rhetoric, 5 (3/4), 145-159.
Johnson, A. (2015). Digital media, sex, and performance: An introduction. Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies, 11(1).
Johnson, A., & Boylorn, R. (2015). Digital Media and the Politics of Intersectional Queer Hyper/In/Visibility in Between Women. Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies, 11(1).
Cooke-Jackson, A., Orbe, M., Johnson, A., Kauffman, L.(2015). Abstinence memorable message narratives: A new exploratory research study into young adult sexual narratives. Health Communication, 10.1080/10410236.2014.924045.
Honors and Awards
- Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies, National Communication Association, 2016
- Top Paper Award, Ethnography Division, National Communication Association, 2016
- Faculty Excellence Award for Diversity and Social Justice, Student Government Association, Saint Louis University, 2016.
- Article of the Year, Ethnography Division, National Communication Association, 2015
- Golden Anniversary Monograph Award, National Communication Association, 2014
- Outstanding Book Chapter, African American Communication & Culture Division, National Communication Association, 2014
Professional Organizations and Associations
- National Communication Association
- Western States Communication Association
- Alpha Delta Sigma National Honorary Society
- The Collegium for African American Research
- Organization for the Study of Language and Gender
- American Studies Association
Community Work and Service
- Founder and Creator of The Justice Fleet (www.thejusticefleet.com)
- Founding Member of The Social Justice Communication Collaborative, Saint Louis University, 2015-present
- Chair of the African American Communication & Culture Division, The National Communication Association
- Committee Member of the Core Curriculum Working Group, College of Arts & Sciences, Saint Louis University, 2016-2017