How to Transfer Colleges: Tips for Switching Schools
Interested in transferring to a new college or university but don't know where to begin? You don't have to start your college search from scratch. You've got a head start on knowing about financial aid, majors and more. Here are a few more things to consider that can help you find a college environment that's perfect for you:
Why Do You Want to Transfer Schools?
Transferring colleges is not uncommon, but make sure you're moving for the right reasons. Think carefully about your motivation and base your decision to transfer to a new college or university on academics and your future career goals.
Get a College Admission Guide
There are college admission counselors specifically designated for transfer students who act as advisers through the transfer process and can answer your questions about the school you're hoping to attend. Find out what you should be asking your admission counselor.
Schedule a Campus Tour
Getting to know a college or university's campus can make or break your decision. Besides getting the lay of the land, you can check out a school's majors and programs, meet current students, and talk with representatives from academic departments or advisers while you're on campus. "Take time to visit campus while classes are in session to get a feel for student life," says one Saint Louis University admission counselor. Find out more about what to ask on campus tours.
Research College Requirements
Documents required for transfer admission vary, but most colleges require you to submit ACT/SAT scores, high school transcripts and transcripts from previous colleges you attended. Depending on the college or university, you may also have to submit a resume, personal statement or essay. Find out more about the college admission process.
Worried that certain courses might not transfer to your new school? You aren't alone. According to admission counselors at SLU, the most common question is ‘how many of my credits will transfer?’ At SLU, the answer is usually, ‘most of them!’ Keep in mind that most schools only accept previous coursework from accredited colleges or universities. Also, be sure to check if there are specific grade requirements for transferring courses. Your new admission counselor will know for sure.
Check out what scholarships and financial aid packages are offered for transfer students
and apply for them on time. Don't forget to update your financial information for
the new year; it could result in more tuition assistance. Get more information on financial aid for undergraduates.
- 7 Squirrels You'll Meet in College
- 10 Tips for College Success
- Admission Counselor Tips: SLU Counselors' Best College Search Advice
- Best Spots Around SLU: Some of the Coolest Things Near — and Even on — Campus
- College Dorm Room FAQ: What You Need to Know Before Dorm Room Assignments
- Commute to SLU
- Early College Prep: Tips for College-Bound Kids
- How to Be a Roommate: 5 Steps to Help You Get Along with Your College Roommate
- How to Change the World: Make a Difference at a University that Emphasizes Public Service
- How to Get Admitted: We Break Down the Steps, From Application to Interview
- How to Go Greek: What You Need to Know About Rushing Sororities and Fraternities
- How to Pick a Major: Still Deciding on a Future Career? We've Got Some Tips for You.
- How to Plan Your College Search: Tips for Researching College Admission, Financial Aid and More
- How to Prep to Play College Sports: It's More than Talent and Grades
- Inside a College Fair: Your First Look at Your Top College or University Choices
- It's Not Too Late to Apply: Learn About SLU's Rolling Admissions Policy
- Scholarships and Service: Scholarships for Students Committed to Community Service
- SLU Scholarships for Freshmen: Saint Louis University Offers More than 10 Scholarships and Awards
- SLU's Team Spirit: What It's Like to Cheer on the Billikens
- The Social Media Accounts You Need to Follow
- The Tests You Need for College: Learn About the ACT and the SAT
- The Value of SLU: Investing in Yourself
- Top 5 Admission Counselor Questions: Questions You Should Be Asking in Your College Interviews
- Top 5 College Choice Tips: Find the Best College Fit for You
- Top 5 College Prep Activities: The Best High School Activities for College Success
- Top 5 Majors at SLU: What Undergraduate Degrees are Most Popular?
- Top 5 Ways to Pay for College: College Financial Aid, Explained
- Top 5 Things to Bring to SLU
- What Does College Cost? Plan for Tuition, Plus These Expenses
- What to Ask on Campus Tours: College Visit Guides Have the Answers. Ask the Right Questions.
- What's Work Study? Work on Campus with this College Financial Aid Tool