Early College Prep
Tips for college-bound kids.
- Tell the world, "I'm going to college!"
- Keep, or start, saving for college.
- Enlist your family as a support team and find mentors who believe in you.
- Make sure the high school you plan to attend is state-accredited and offers a formal college-prep curriculum.
- Get involved. Take on leadership roles and volunteer in your community.
- Read, read, read! Fiction or non-fiction, magazines or news stories on the web. The more diverse your material, the more new ideas and vocabulary words you'll encounter, which will be handy when you take those standardized admission tests.
Prepare for College
Schedule a time to sit down with your parents and/or school counselor to look at the four years ahead of you. Map out what classes you want to take, being sure that you cover the basic preparatory courses that most colleges require:
- 3 years of general electives
- 4 years of English
- 4 years of math
- 3 years of foreign language
- 3 years of natural science
- 3 years of history/social studies
Grades are important to colleges, but they also respect the challenge posed by honors, advanced placement and college-level classes. Push yourself hardest in subjects you love, since you're likely to do better in subjects that interest you.
Find Your Passions
Preparing for college isn't just about hitting the books. Explore a hobby; try a sport; join an academic club; volunteer for a worthy cause; learn an instrument. Colleges do want smart students, but they also want interesting students who love to learn.
Done with your freshman year? Find out what you need to do to prepare for college in the 10th grade.
Leave a comment or ask a question:
Ready to Be A Billiken?
- Campus Tour Questions
- Checklist: 12th Grade
- Scholarship Deadlines
- Get Admitted to College
- Transfer Colleges
- Checklist: 11th Grade
- Checklist: 10th Grade
- Checklist: College Prep
- Quiz: College 101
- College Tests
- Questions for Admission Counselors
- Admission Counselor Tips
- Checklist: International Students