19 Signs That You Are A Billiken
You attended Saint Louis University and...
1. You know how to pronounce "Griesedieck." And maybe even spell it.
Bonus if you know that the Griesedieck complex is named for a St. Louis brewing family.
2. You have a favorite Jesuit.
(That would be Saint Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits.)
3. You've been to Mass at 9 p.m. (or even 10 p.m.) on a Sunday.
No really. People love it.
4. You've been photographed with more than one of SLU's statues.
Images from Instagram: @howlocanyougo25, @alex_gerhart, @maddieks, @slu_official
5. You know the history behind what a Billiken is and have explained it to family and friends.
SLU Billiken, circa 1912
Additional bonus points if you've explained it to fans of SLU's opposing sports teams. Here are some talking points.
6. You've woken up early on a Saturday to help others at "Make a Difference Day."
So, so early. But so worth it.
7. You've rubbed the Billiken's belly for good luck before exams.
8. You've heard about 100 different versions of the exorcism story.
(And are bummed that it didn't happen on campus.)
9. You've called a hammock on the Quad.
10. SLU Blue dominates your wardrobe.
(We did not compensate this student.)
11. You've dodged a golf cart on your way to class.
12. You've stood in line for an hour to get a midnight pancake breakfast.
13. You associate any fleur-de-lis that you see with SLU.
14. You've been tempted -- BUT NEVER WOULD -- put bubbles into one of the fountains.
Because this is the nice man who has to take them out again.
15. You yell "Be a Billiken!" at campus tour groups.
Because you love this place THAT much.
16. SLUlips, SLUnatic, and SLUniverse are all perfectly acceptable words.
17. Your freshman move-in experience was practically effortless, thanks to Oriflamme.
18. You'd rather go on a service trip for spring break than to a beach in Florida.
19. You know how to respond when you hear, "S - A - I - N - T...."
Be a Billiken!