Erica K. Salter, PhD
Erica K. Salter is an Assistant Professor of Health Care Ethics in the Gnaegi Center. She is the Director of the PhD Program in Health Care Ethics, oversees the PhD clinical practicum and teaches clinical ethics to PhD students. In addition, she teaches undergraduate students in courses on Death and Dying and Ethics in Geriatric Care. Dr. Salter has a degree in philosophy and cognitive science from Rice University and completed her PhD in Health Care Ethics at St. Louis University in 2011. Her doctoral dissertation examined standards of pediatric decision making for both the general pediatric population and for children with significant intellectual disability. Dr. Salter serves on the ethics committees at St. Louis Children's Hospital and St. Louis University Hospital, as well as the Institutional Review Board at St. Anthony's Hospital. Her research interests include pediatric ethics, ethics education and clinical ethics consultation.
Publications: Refereed Journal Articles
- Salter, E.K. (2014). “The Desire to Die: Making Treatment Decisions for Suicidal Patients with Advance Directives”, Journal of Clinical Ethics, 25(1).
- Salter, E.K. (2014). “Resisting the Siren Call of Individualism in Pediatric Decision-Making and the Role of Relational Interests”, Journal of Medicine and Philosophy, 39(1): 26-40.
- Salter, E.K., Paniagua, M. (2014). “Early Exposure to Geriatric Care: Developing an Undergraduate Internship in Ethics and Geriatric Practice”, International Journal of Medical Education, 5:15-17.
- Salter, E.K. (2013). “Should We Tell Annie? Preparing for death at the Intersection of Parental Authority and Adolescent Autonomy”, Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics, 3(1): 83-90.
- Salter, E. K. (2012). Deciding for a Child: A Comprehensive Analysis of the Best Interest Standard. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics, 33, 179-198.
- DuBois, J. M. Salter, E.K. et al. (2011). Reviewing the Ethical, Regulatory and Scientific Case for Engaging Communities in Mental Health and Drug Addiction Research. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 24, 208-214.
- Salter, E. K. (2010). The Management of Incidental Findings in Neuro-Imaging Research. Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics, 38(1).
- Salter, E. K. (2009). Clinical Ethics and the Dynamics of Group Decision-Making: Applying the Psychological Data to Decisions Made by Ethics Committees. HEC Forum, 21(2), 207-228.
- DuBois, J. M., Volpe, R. Rangel, E.K.(2008). Hidden Empirical Research Ethics: A Review of Three Health Journals from 2005 to 2006. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 3(3), 7-18.
- Iltis, A. S., Wall, A., Rangel, E. K. (2008). Federal Interpretation and Enforcement of Protections for Vulnerable Populations in Human Subjects Research. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 4(1), 37-41.
- Rangel, E. K. (2007). Cosmetic psychopharmacology and the goals of medicine. American Medical Association: Virtual Mentor, 9, 428-432.
Other Publications: Commentaries and Book Reviews
- Volpe, R. & Salter, E.K.(2011). Response to Fins 'Humanities and the Future of Bioethics Education': Too Quick to Judge?. Cambrdige Quarterly in Healthcare Ethics, 24(4), 612-614.
- Salter, E. K. (2010). Review of "The Ethics of Genetic Engineering". American Journal of Bioethics, 10(10), 34-35.
- Salter, E.K.(2008). Review of "Innovation and the Pharmaceutical Industry". HEC Forum 24(4):375-378.
- Salter, E.K. Brightsar Continuing Education Seminar, January 2014. “Children and the Ethics of End of Life Decision Making”, St. Louis, MO.
- Salter, E.K. ASBH Annual Conference, 2013. “Home Health Care Ethics and its Implications for Autonomy”, Atlanta, GA.
- Salter, E. K., ASBH Annual Conference 2010, "Clinical Ethics and the Dynamics of Group Decision Making," ASBH, Washington, DC.
- Salter, E. K., Ethics Committee Retreat, "Introduction and A (Brief) History of Bioethics," St. Louis Children's Hopsital, St. Louis.
- Salter, E. K., Ethics Lunch and Learn Series, "Pandora's Box? The Ethics of End of Life Conversation," Mercy Children's Hospital, Kansas City, MO.
- Salter, E. K., Noon Ethics Lecture Series, "The Ethics of End of Life Communication in Pediatric Settings," Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital, St. Louis.
- Salter, E. K., Undergraduate MedScholars Presentation, "Ethics in Clinical Practice," SLU MedScholars, St. Louis.
- Salter, E. K., Clinical Ethics Case Discussion Group, "Case Discussion: Suicide & Living Wills," St. Louis. (December 1, 2011).
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- DuBois, J. M. (Principal), Salter, E. K. (Key Personnel), "MTS Center for Life Ethics Blog and Website Project," Sponsored by Mid-America Transplant Association, $15,000.00. (August 1, 2011 – July 31, 2013).
- DuBois, J.M. (Principal). NIMH Conference “Ethics and Community Engagement in Mental Health Research” (Summer 2009).
- DuBois, J.M. (Principal). “Responsible Conduct of Research Instructional Assessment”, Program Office of Research Integrity (Fall 2006-Spring 2008).