Erica K. Salter, PhD
CV: Salter CV
Erica K. Salter is an Assistant Professor of Health Care Ethics in the Gnaegi Center. She is the Director of the PhD Program in Health Care Ethics, oversees the PhD clinical practicum and teaches clinical ethics to PhD students. In addition, she teaches undergraduate students in courses on Death and Dying and Ethics in Geriatric Care. Dr. Salter has a degree in philosophy and cognitive science from Rice University and completed her PhD in Health Care Ethics at St. Louis University in 2011. Her doctoral dissertation examined standards of pediatric decision making for both the general pediatric population and for children with significant intellectual disability. Dr. Salter serves on the ethics committee of Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital and SLU Hospital, as well as the Institutional Review Board at St. Anthony's Hospital. Her research interests include pediatric ethics, ethics education and clinical ethics consultation.
- Salter, E.K. Brightsar Continuing Education Seminar, January 2014. “Children and the Ethics of End of Life Decision Making”, St. Louis, MO.
- Salter, E.K. ASBH Annual Conference, 2013. “Home Health Care Ethics and its Implications for Autonomy”, Atlanta, GA.
- Salter, E. K., ASBH Annual Conference 2010, "Clinical Ethics and the Dynamics of Group Decision Making," ASBH, Washington, DC.
- Salter, E. K., Ethics Committee Retreat, "Introduction and A (Brief) History of Bioethics," St. Louis Children's Hopsital, St. Louis.
- Salter, E. K., Ethics Lunch and Learn Series, "Pandora's Box? The Ethics of End of Life Conversation," Mercy Children's Hospital, Kansas City, MO.
- Salter, E. K., Noon Ethics Lecture Series, "The Ethics of End of Life Communication in Pediatric Settings," Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital, St. Louis.
- Salter, E. K., Undergraduate MedScholars Presentation, "Ethics in Clinical Practice," SLU MedScholars, St. Louis.
- Salter, E. K., Clinical Ethics Case Discussion Group, "Case Discussion: Suicide & Living Wills," St. Louis. (December 1, 2011).
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- DuBois, J. M. (Principal), Salter, E. K. (Key Personnel), "MTS Center for Life Ethics Blog and Website Project," Sponsored by Mid-America Transplant Association, $15,000.00. (August 1, 2011 – July 31, 2013).
- DuBois, J.M. (Principal). NIMH Conference “Ethics and Community Engagement in Mental Health Research” (Summer 2009).
- DuBois, J.M. (Principal). “Responsible Conduct of Research Instructional Assessment”, Program Office of Research Integrity (Fall 2006-Spring 2008).