Erica K. Salter, Ph.D.
Director of Ph.D. program; associate professor of health care ethics; associate professor of pediatrics
Albert Gnaegi Center for Health Care Ethics
Department of Pediatrics
- Ph.D. in health care ethics from Saint Louis University
- B.A. in philosophy and cognitive science from Rice University
Pediatric ethics; ethics education; clinical ethics consultation.
Publications and Media Placements
- Special Thematic Issue, "Childhood and Disability." HEC Forum (forthcoming)
- Special Thematic Issue, "Bioethics Beyond the Urban Hospital." HEC Forum 27(2)
- Salter, E. (2016, forthcoming) "Conflating capacity and authority: Why we're asking the wrong question in the mature minor debate." Hastings Center Report.
- Salter, E.K. (2017). "Conflating Capacity and Authority: Why We’re Asking the Wrong Question in the Mature Minor Debate." Hastings Center Report (accepted, forthcoming).
- Salter, E.K. & Norris, J. (2015). "Clinical Ethics Beyond the Urban Hospital." HEC Forum, 27(2): 87-91.
- Salter, E. K. (2015). "To Re-contexualize the Patient: What Home Health Care Ethics Can Teach Us about Medical Decision Making." HEC Forum, 27(2): 143-156.
- Salter, E. K. (2014). "The Siren Call of Individualism in Pediatric Decision Making and the Role of Relational Interests." Journal of Medicine and Philosophy, 39(1), 26-40.
- Salter, E.K. (2014). "The Desire to Die: Making Treatment Decisions for Suicidal Patients with Advance Directives." Journal of Clinical Ethics, 25(1): 43-49.
- Salter, E.K. (2013). "Should We Tell Annie? Preparing for death at the Intersection of Parental Authority and Adolescent Autonomy." Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics, 3(1): 83-90.
- Salter, E. K. (2012). "Deciding for a Child: A Comprehensive Analysis of the Best Interest Standard." Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics, 33, 179-198.
- Salter, E. K. (2010). "The Management of Incidental Findings in Neuro-Imaging Research." Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics, 38(1).
- Salter, E. K. (2009). "Clinical Ethics and the Dynamics of Group Decision-Making: Applying the Psychological Data to Decisions Made by Ethics Committees." HEC Forum, 21(2), 207-228.
- Vice chair of the Ethics Committee, SSM Cardinal Glennon Medical Center
- Member of the Ethics Committee, SSM Saint Louis University Hospital
- Saint Anthony’s Hospital IRB
- Mission: STL
- The Journey Church