- PhD Program
PhD Program: Prerequisites
There are two admission tracks to the PhD program with separate prerequisites:
- Post-baccalaureate: Applicants are required to possess a bachelor's degree with a major or a minor in a field related to ethics in the humanities (e.g., philosophy or religious studies) and their writing sample and statement of aims must evidence the maturity needed to complete a PhD in health care ethics. Basic competencies in philosophical and applied bioethics are developed within the doctoral curriculum.
- Postgraduate: Applicants must have completed a Master's degree or another advanced degree in a field related to health care ethics (e.g. an MA in philosophy, bioethics or moral theology, JD, or MD). Students whose graduate or professional curriculum did not include the following, may need to complete additional prerequisite coursework:
- Philosophical ethics (3 credits)
- Applied ethics (3 credits)
- Logic or Critical thinking (3 credits)
- A Master's thesis in ethics OR 6 credit hours of further humanities studies in which essays are written
For applicants who are otherwise qualified for admission, up to 9 hours of prerequisites may be completed during the first year of study within the PhD program.
JD/PhD Program Prerequisites
Ordinarily, JD/PhD students are required to satisfy the same prerequisites as students admitted to the PhD program on the postgraduate admission track.
MD/PhD Program Prerequisites
MD/PhD students must have completed a graduate level foundations of ethics course and applied ethics course. Students may satisfy these requirements as directed reading courses during the summer between the first and second years of medical school. Applicants to the Health Care Ethics program must provide a sample of writing in health care ethics that demonstrates the ability to do doctoral level coursework in the field.
MA/PhD Program Prerequisites
Ordinarily, MA/PhD students are required to satisfy the same prerequisites as students admitted to the PhD program on the postgraduate admission track.