- Future Students
- Welcome from the Chair
- Freshman Admission Requirements
- Transfer Admission Requirements
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Investigative and Medical Sciences
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificates
- Research and Internship Opportunities
- Professional Performance Standards
Medical Laboratory Science Program
Medical laboratory scientists are important members of the health care team. They perform tests on blood and other body fluids to determine the presence or absence of disease and to monitor treatment effectiveness. They assure the accuracy of these tests and manage the data generated to provide information needed to properly diagnose and treat patients.
- Manage laboratory test results to maintain quality
- Assure safety
- Provide timely and cost-effective laboratory test results
- Develop and evaluate new tests
- Consult with physicians and other healthcare professionals, patients, and the community on issues related to laboratory testing
For more information on careers, please visit the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science's website, ascls.org.
Career opportunities include:
- Diagnostic testing personnel in a hospital, clinic, physician's office, or commercial laboratory
- Laboratory managers
- Research associates in biotech labs, pharmaceutical labs and research labs
- Industrial research, sales and marketing or technical specialist
- Biotechnology company representative for sales and service of lab equipment and supplies
- Bio-analysts for government agencies (e.g. Centers for Disease Control or National Institutes of Health)
- Progress to graduate or professional schools (e.g. medicine, public health, veterinary, dental etc)
Graduation and employment statistics:
- Job Placement
- 100 percent of our graduates who actively seek employment are typically placed within three months of graduation.
- There is currently a significant shortage of medical laboratory professionals nationally.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor projects that the employment of medical laboratory technicians and scientists will increase by 22 percent through the year 2022. Currently there is a shortage in many parts of the country guaranteeing employment and higher salaries for graduates.(bls.gov)