Daily Reflection: November 30, 2011

Feast of Saint Andrew, apostle

Rom 10:9-18

Ps 19:8, 9, 10, 11

Mt 4:18-22

The readings for the day can be found here.

“For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Your words are spirit and life.”

Many of us are caught up in the pressures of everyday life.  We go through our lives on “automatic” – worried, stressed, tired and confused – often more so around Christmas…It is easy to get into a rut and become unclear of the path we are on.  Distractions in our

daily lives can create knots in the soul.

Mary accepted the will of God, and she knew that the voice of God in our hearts is “spirit and life.”  She joyously prayed, “My Soul Extols the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; for He has looked with favor on His lowly servant From this day all generations shall call me blessed.

Saints Peter and Andrew, brothers and sons once called by Jesus, left their fishing nets – their lives’ work – to follow Him.  History tells us that they followed a difficult but meaningful path, and they kept steady in their faith; they knew the presence of God in their lives.

What does this mean for us today?

Just as Mary accepted the Baby she was carrying with love and awe, we can ask for and believe in God’s love for us in the midst of the craziness of our modern lives. We learn to recognize the spark of the divine in our hearts, and we learn that it is there, waiting for all of us.  We pray a verse of the Responsorial Psalm:

Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life.

They are more precious than gold,
than a heap of purest gold;
Sweeter also than syrup
or honey from the comb.

Dear Lord, I want to believe in your love, and know that my daily life as lived is your will for me, and I will not worry because you love me.  As a student, teacher, parent, child we let the love of God settle in our bones.  Knowing I can call upon God’s Presence within   is like taking a deep breath of fresh air and basking in the joy of well being.

Advent is the time to prepare for the birthday of Jesus.  In all the craziness around us, I know that God loves me more than I can know, and he will comfort me if I believe. His love abides in us all.

For one believes with the heart and so is justified,
and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved.  (Romans 10:9)

Helen Capdevielle works part-time as Reference Librarian at Omer Poos Library at Saint Louis University School of Law. She is also a proud grandmother of 3 and enjoys reading and watercolor painting.

This entry was posted in 2011, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.