Daily Reflection: December 9, 2011

Friday of the second week of Advent

Is 48:17-19

Ps 1:1-2, 3, 4 and 6

Mt 11:16-19

The readings for the day can be found here.

At first glance, today’s readings can be viewed simply as a warning: heed my law, follow me, or pay the consequences. As adults, this type of message is likely met with resistance. With deeper reflection, one realizes the positive side and true meaning of the readings. God longs for us to be with him for eternity. He promises a reward that is beyond our human comprehension.

This brings to mind one of my favorite verses from the Bible, John 14:2. In this verse, Jesus states that there are many rooms in his Father’s house and that he will prepare a place for each of us. I have found solace in these words many times especially after the passing of my mother. During the Christmas season when I miss her dearly, these words have particular meaning and help bring me peace.

I, in turn, ask, “What do I need to do to earn such rewards?” The readings again provide the answer but it seems too easy for my left brain. We are told to believe, to follow God and to delight in His law. It reminds me of the times that I have been told to give up control and have faith in God’s will.  I am not there yet, so I thank the one who said life is a journey…

Regardless of one’s religious affiliation, Advent provides a time for us to reflect on our lives, both good and bad. I find that I am more attentive to the many blessings in my work and home life. It is also a perfect time for me to think about the year that is quickly coming to an end. I take note of where I grew and where I fell short. I am thankful for forgiveness and for a new year with fresh goals.

Jennifer Giancola is the dean of the School for Professional Studies.

This entry was posted in 2011, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.