Daily Reflection: December 11, 2011

Third Sunday of Advent

Is 61:1-2a, 10-11

Lk 1:46-48, 49-50, 53-54

1 Thes 5:16-24

Jn 1:6-8, 19-28

The readings for the day can be found here.

So I hear that Advent Season is a time for New Year resolutions. Resolutions are made after some time of self-reflection. So to me, Advent is a time for self-reflection about my relationship with God and how He is using me to reach out to other people. More and more every day I realize how blessed I am. The places God has taken me and the people He has put in my life reminds me of how blessed I am.

This is where my self-reflection begins. God has places certain people in my life as a blessing to me. How I can be a blessing to those people that God purposely put in my life. Isaiah 61:1-2 says that God “has sent me to bring glad tidings to the poor.” Now I don’t think this means that I have to go preach about the work of God to every person that I meet. However, I do believe that I should show the people in my life that all my success and anything good that happens to me is because of God. If people see that I give God credit for all my success, maybe it will lead them to pursue a relationship with Him.

After reflection, it’s time to look forward and get excited about what will happen in the future. If I am a blessing to others, I can expect the God to continue to bless me. Furthermore, I know that if accept the fact that I am nothing without God and need Him so much, I will pursue an even deeper relationship with Him. I can’t imagine anything better than having the person I need the most in my life each and every day. We have yet to see the fulfillment of all God’s promises, but when that day comes I don’t want to be the one left behind because I didn’t believe.

Erika Cook is a freshman majoring in Athletic Training. She is a member of the SLU Women’s Basketball team and a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

This entry was posted in 2011, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.