Daily Reflection: December 12, 2011

Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Zec 2:14-17

Rv 11:19a; 12:1-6a, 10ab

Jdt 13:18bcde, 19

Lk 1:26-38

The readings for the day can be found here.

When I reflect on the readings for today, I am filled with emotion about mothers and children.  Mary’s acceptance of the role of Mother is what has brought us to this Christmas Holiday season.  Fittingly mothers are such an integral part of the holidays.  They are the keeper of the memories and the traditions.  Mother’s strive all year long to keep food on the table and a roof overhead.  They struggle to keep God’s children safe and happy and whole.  They endeavor to impart knowledge and foster independence.

No one explained to Mary how hard the job was, but she accepted it unconditionally, as mothers do.   I reflect on all the mothers that embrace the job given to them by God:   that go without, especially during these financially difficult times, to make sure there are gifts under the tree.  They sacrifice in order to fulfill the needs of their children and God’s children by preparing food for the homeless, donating food to a pantry, filling stockings for the service men and women or donating presents for sick children at area hospitals.  How blessed we are.  I want to continue to give back whenever I  can and thank my mom and the mother of my children often for the gifts they bestow on me.

As Mary accepted the job of carrying the son of God, we accept the job of caring for our own children and children of others at Saint Louis University.  The readings remind us of the momentous job that God entrusts to us to have children, and especially Mary who was chosen to carry his son and Joseph who was chosen to be his earthly Father.

During this advent season, I am reminded although not everyone has children of their own, there are always children that need us.    Are we willing to accept them like Mary and Joseph?

As part of our university mission we accept the role of educating men and women for others. Hopefully we also accept the role of helping our students in all aspects of their lives – throughout their college years and well beyond.

Jay Goff is Vice President of the Division of Enrollment and Retention Management.

This entry was posted in 2011, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.