Daily Reflection: December 13, 2011

Memorial of Saint Lucy, virgin and martyr

Zep 3:1-2, 9-13

Ps 34:2-3, 6-7, 17-18, 19 and 23

Mt 21:28-32

The readings for the day can be found here.

As we enter the Christian Season of Advent and close out a calendar year, now is an opportune time for me to reflect upon my life as I know it and my life as I envision it to be. This time of year has been the most reflective for me as I oftentimes base life goals and timelines on the calendar year. As a spiritual being who connects closely with Christian principles yet is open to the teachings and messages of other faiths, I welcome opportunities to read a variety of scriptures, passages, poems, quotes, etc. and make meaning in words for myself and the world around me. This is what Matthew Chapter 21, Verses 28-32 (The Parable of the Two Sons) did for me.

This scripture resonated with me particularly because I am currently in deep thought regarding necessary life changes and modifications as I enter a new year. The immediate themes that came to mind for me were action, intent and opportunity. Oftentimes, we communicate what should be, needs to be, and will be and never see it to fruition. In the process, we fail to keep our word to ourselves, others who rely on us, and most importantly, the Creator. I believe that a good measure of a person is their ability to keep their word and follow through on selfless commitments, especially those which benefit others. Paying lip service to God and appeasing others with poetic prose and intentions without heart and action does not favor any. Speaking your truth through movement rather than tongue is valuable, tangible and transparent.

Because the second son in the parable did not keep his commitment to his father, he did not do his father’s will. However, the first son did not consider doing what was asked of him but later changed his mind…thus doing the will of father.  It was not about what he said he would do; it is about what he did. This is a testament that we all have the opportunity to change and follow through on what is asked of us, willed for us, called for us and destined for us. If it means loving more deeply, prioritizing people and goals, using whatever power and voice you have to ensure that our communities and environments are socially just, being an advocate for the marginalized, or listening actively and compassionately…there is opportunity. As spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi is often quoted, “you must be the change you want to see…” During this season, I challenge myself and others to move beyond “I can” and “I will” toward “I am”.  When you are doing the will of the Creator and living righteously, you will have to speak or answer less. For, it will be seen.

LaTanya Buck is Director of the Cross-Cultural Center and a member of the Division of Student Development.

This entry was posted in 2011, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.