Daily Reflection: December 23, 2011

Friday of the fourth week of Advent

Mal 3:1-4, 23-24

Ps 25:4-5ab, 8-9, 10 and 14

Lk 1:57-66

The readings for the day can be found here.

God works in mysterious ways. Especially when it comes to the people through whom He works to get His messages across.

This past summer I was a counselor at a Christian sports camp for children ages 7-11 years old. It was one of the most exhilarating and challenging experiences of my life, but it turned out to be one of the best jobs I have ever had. God taught me so much this past summer, and the majority of it was through all of the campers. One eleven year old in particular touched my heart in a way that I will never forget. She arrived at camp not really wanting to be there; I eventually came to find out that her mother had recently passed away, and was also facing other difficulties that I could never even imagine living with when I was eleven . Throughout her time at camp, God worked through her and opened my eyes to see the glory of God’s grace and forgiveness right in front of me. She left those camp gates forever changed and so did I.

In today’s reading, the Lord uses baby John as a sign that the He is there and will reveal himself in the most unlikely of ways. He is a symbol of hope that God is present with the people. During the Christmas season, baby Jesus is that symbol of hope. He represents the start of a new beginning, a time for people to be redeemed and experience the love and grace of Jesus Christ. That it all started with the most unlikely of circumstances, with a baby in a manger, a baby who continues to resonate God’s presence around the world today, is one of the best messages of all.

Victoria Glatz is a junior Nutrition and Dietetics major.

This entry was posted in 2011, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.