Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Zec 2:14-17 OR Rv 11:19a; 12:1-6a, 10ab

Jdt 13:18bcde, 19

Lk 1:26-38

The readings for the day can be found here.

Mary’s Hope

I have always loved how, in Luke’s gospel, the story of the Annuciation is followed by Mary’s canticle in which she praises God who “puts down the mighty from their thrones.” Some scripture scholars think the song may be Luke’s own addition. Perhaps.  I am not a scripture scholar. But as a mother of three, I wonder if those who don’t see a connection between pregnancy and hope in God’s justice are missing something.

Pregnancy is all about hope. I remember when my husband and I were waiting for a sign of our first child. When it came, we were overjoyed. In a few weeks, we had reason to suspect a miscarriage.  It was during a month that I was between jobs and without health insurance.  I went to a free clinic and the nurse there confirmed our fears. We were devastated. A few weeks later I returned to a regular doctor.  Suspicious of the clinic’s conclusion, she hooked up a sonogram, and there on the screen was a beating heart. We were having a baby after all.  Our hoped for future together was beginning.  In the weeks that followed, our joy continued as I felt and saw my baby swimming in my womb.

But pregnancy is not all joy.  It involves sickness that is not limited to mornings, fatigue, and giving up wine, coffee, and your figure. Pregnancy requires a certain measure of self-emptying. It is all about hope, but it is a hope that requires us to change.

Perhaps this is why Mary can sing about God and about justice. She has just been told that she is pregnant with GOD.  How can she not sing?  How can she not be afraid? How can she not think that God, her savior—the one whose greatness she has always heard about—is not asking her to be faithful in a fundamentally new way?

Pregnancy and birth are our symbols of hope. In the dark of winter we tell a story about the future. About a child growing in a young woman’s womb.  About a young woman who sings, “my soul proclaims greatness of the Lord.” About a God who “will fill the hungry with good things and send the rich away empty.” About a pregnant woman who, like the prophets of old, is ready to join in working for God’s reign of justice. Her “deed of hope will never be forgotten.”

If there is any good time to say “we’re pregnant,” it’s now, in Advent, as we claim the same joy, the same faith, and the same hope.

Julie Hanlon Rubio is Associate Professor of Christian Ethics in the Department of Theological Studies.

This entry was posted in 2012. Bookmark the permalink.