Monday, 17 December 2012

Monday of the Third Week of Advent

Gn 49:2, 8-10

Ps 72:1-2, 3-4ab, 7-8, 17

Mt 1:1-17

The readings for the day can be found here.

As we continue to wait for Christ this advent season we might find ourselves becoming weary or anxious for His glorious coming. Yet, we know and believe that Jesus is here even in our time of preparing. During this waiting, how do we prepare? During this waiting where do we find peace?

In the first reading today, in Genesis, we learn that Judah will lead the family of his father and the tribe from which the Messiah comes. By gaining this privilege, Judah gained a lot of power. We often think of power being abused. We are taught to shy away from gaining any sort of power and to respect such authority. Yet, power lies in all of us. We have the power to create ourselves, change someone’s life, live each day and know dive into our relationship with God. Power is within all of to change this world and listen to God’s call for us. He is calling us to use our power, our gifts.

Often times I take comfort and find peace within my own family. In the Gospel, we learn about the genealogy of Jesus. What a strong list of the fathers and sons we have gathered today! Jesus Christ, much like us, has his own heritage, one that is rich in love and tradition. While I do not know fourteen generations of my own family, I do know a few. Thinking about my own family I realized how blessed we are. Our ties are strong, traditions alive and love is being spread.

Yet, family is so much more than Swabacks or Paluchs in my life. My family includes friends, mentors, the SLU community and so much more. There is something about being part of something greater than just my family that fills me. Jesus calls me to love not just my family of brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins; but also those I encounter everyday. Everyone matters. Everyone is my family. God is calling me to be Christ to others. Everyday I get the opportunity to do just that and put my love in action. Love is the answer and Love is God.

We can take peace in what comforts us, but what about taking peace in God’s call? What about taking peace in His love? What about other’s presence? Where there is peace, there is God. Through God we all are brothers and sisters, we all are related because we know Christ.

Meg Swaback is a senior social work major and urban analysis minor. She is actively involved in SLU’s Relay For Life, the Micah Program, APO, Sorores in Christo (the Catholic Women’s Group)and is a regular at Upper Room.

This entry was posted in 2012. Bookmark the permalink.