Daily Reflection for March 25, 2011

Is. 7:10-14, 8:10 Heb. 10:4-10 Lk. 1:26-38
Click here for today’s readings.

Signs…Have you ever asked God for a sign?  Have you embraced a sign and followed it or have you ignored it?   Throughout my journey in deepening my faith with God, I have often asked for signs of affirmation so as to know I am doing God’s will.  As I have grown in my personal relationship with God, I have come to know these signs are not always evident such as a bolt of lightening, but rather, they can be ever powerful, quiet and small in my day.

Days can be filled with meetings, class, and work.   Often times, I am so busy as I don’t realize or acknowledge a sign at that moment.   I encourage all readers and prayer partners along this Lenten journey, to take advice from St. Ignatius and examine your day.  At the end of the day, pause for reflection and acknowledge those moments you found God ever present.

Was it through a Facebook post from a friend? —Thank you God for the blessing of friendship—for those friends who encourage me to be my best self with you.

Was it through a note or a question from a student? —Thank you God for gracing me with the gift to teach others and to be a witness of igniting a spark within my students.

Friends, these are the signs God gives us each day.  Today’s readings remind us how God touches us.  In the Gospel, Mary was scared, overwhelmed, nervous, anxious—how often do we feel the same?  Know you are not alone!  LET GO AND LET GOD.

I end this reflection with a simple prayer from St. Theresa.  It not only embraces our reading for today—what wondrous works we do with God—but this prayer was also a sign for me.  Recently, I was having a rough day, and my sister sent me a note with this prayer.  I was reminded of the gift she is to me for she encourages me to grow deeper in my faith with God and she loves me for who I am.   She is a witness of God’s love.

Take time to reflect on your signs/blessings from today.   Acknowledge God’s presence working through you, other people and through nature.  As you read this prayer, think of Mary “letting go” and allowing herself to be the handmaid of God…

St. Theresa’s Prayer:
Today may there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is here for each and every one of us.

Tim Hercules
Director of Student Educational Services and International Services

This entry was posted in 2011 Season of Lent. Bookmark the permalink.