Daily Reflection for March 29, 2011

Dn. 3:25, 34-43 Mt. 18:21-35
Click here for today’s readings.

The kind of forgiveness asked of us in the gospels may appear daunting, as shown in  Matthew 18:21-25.  Peter asks Jesus how many times he is required to forgive those who sin against him, offering seven times as his guess. Jesus responds, “I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.” This demonstrates that forgiveness must be limitless and forces us to ask ourselves how often do we cling to our resentment, anger, or pain over what others have done to us?

In this passage, Peter reminds me of the many times I have failed to forgive those who may have wronged me. The kind of forgiveness Jesus demands is not common to our culture, where we  “okay, fine”, “yeah, whatever”, or even forgive but not forget, instead of truly rising to our potential. Even worse is the sense of revenge that is so prevalent in our world and often times leads to violence. Let’s be clear; Jesus is asking us to move on. Lent is a time where we are invited to let past transgressions against us die away and to offer a real intentional forgiveness to others. This Lent, I am striving to forgive others, and in doing so, I continue to deepen my relationship with God.

Javier Trejo
Senior majoring Political Science
SLUCORE Co-director

This entry was posted in 2011 Season of Lent. Bookmark the permalink.