Daily Reflection: March 7, 2012

Wednesday of the second week of Lent

Jer 18:18-20

Ps 31:5-6, 14, 15-16

Mt 20:17-28

The readings for the day can be found here.

As I reflect on the passages for today, I am drawn to the part of the Gospel that reminds us it is HIS plan; not ours, not our parents, nor anyone else’s but HIS to follow.
Just as the mother of the sons of Zebedee requested of Jesus for them to “sit at the right hand of the Father”, sometimes, too, our parents or others who care for us wish plans and pray prayers for us that are not God’s plan. Although, it is usually with good intention for us, I am reminded that God’s plan is the best plan for us and we must strive to follow HIS plan instead of ours or someone else’s for us.  It is on His time and His path for us that we are called. In order for us to do this, we must know His plan. As a young adult discerning my path to seek and go HIS way instead of mine or my parents’ or someone else’s way for me, I realize it is not easy and tempting at times to be drawn to the “world’s way”. I was blessed with more insight of this message recently at the Young Adult retreat, Hearts on Fire, which the Jesuits hosted in partnership with our Archdiocese’s new St. Louis Young Adults Ministry. The Jesuits shared that we must be OF the Lord IN the world, but NOT of the world, and as a young adult in this world today, it is certainly not easy, but so important and critical for each of our paths. Lent is a perfect time for us to reflect on:

Whose plan do I follow?

How can I better discover and follow HIS plan for me?

How am I of the Lord?

How can I be less of the world and more of the Lord?

As Father Rich Buehler reminded us on Ash Wednesday, we are to fast from what is of the world, and feast on what is of the Lord, especially, during this Lent season.  As we do this and spend more time with our God and allow our hearts to be changed, we grow to know and love even better our God and Maker and His plans for us. It becomes easier for us to follow Him and evident that HIS plan is truly the best plan for each of us on our journey.

Allison Rockamann coordinates the new Institute for Private Business (IPB) which combines Saint Louis University’s entrepreneurial business program with a confidential peer environment for owners of family and other private businesses to resolve critical issues.

This entry was posted in 2012 Season of Lent. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Daily Reflection: March 7, 2012

1. Jim Neidel says:

Wow! With your insight of today’s reading and your scholastical background; I think you need to be in politics, i.e. God loving and God fearing. Nice