Daily Reflection: March 9, 2012

Friday of the second week of Lent

Gn 37:3-4, 12-13a, 17b-28a

Ps 105:16-17, 18-19, 20-21

Mt 21:33-43, 45-46

The readings for the day can be found here.

This week’s readings focus on the differences between the perspective of God and humans.  In the first reading, we revisit the story of Joseph and his brothers.  Overridden with extreme jealousy, Joseph’s brothers sell him to passersby in order to have their father pay more attention to them.  It’s a familiar human emotion, jealousy; almost every person has experienced it.  It is an emotion that can cloud our judgment and cause us to drift away from God.  The Gospel also explores the idea that certain negative emotions can cause people to separate from God.  When asked by Jesus what the owner of the vineyard will do to the men who killed his son, the crowd answered that they would be put to a gruesome death.  Instead, Jesus says that they will be accepted and used to build a stronger environment: “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.”  With the help of the Lord, the vineyard owner is able to forgive these men and incorporate them into his business.  Again, these readings are showing an example of the difference in perspectives – God forgives these men while the crowd wants them to pay for their violence.  The idea of revenge is completely destroyed by Jesus’ response to them.

This Lenten season, I encourage you to try and focus on what thoughts or emotions might be keeping you away from God.  For example, I have issues with frustration and anger towards God as I try to cope with everything around me.  This Lent I decided to give up trying to figure everything out in my life, instead I am trying to trust in God that things will turn out the way they are supposed to.  So far, it is one of the hardest things I have done, and I slip up a lot but I am happy to know that I am trying.  This Lent and for the rest of the year, think about what emotions or thoughts are keeping you away from your spirituality.  Maybe you can do something about them.  In the long run, it will do you some good as the Lord uses you as his cornerstone for his Kingdom.

Carol Patrick is a sophomore studying Biology and Anthropology.

This entry was posted in 2012 Season of Lent. Bookmark the permalink.