Daily Reflection: March 12, 2012

Monday of the third week of Lent

2 Kgs 5:1-15ab

Ps 42:2, 3; 43:3, 4

Lk 4:24-30

The readings for the day can be found here.

In our readings today Jesus says “no prophet is accepted in his own native place.”   While Elijah and Elisha are the prophets Jesus is speaking of, are these the only prophets in these readings?  Is he referring to the rejection he has faced with his own people?  What about the servant girl who encouraged Naaman to go to Samaria for healing.  Shouldn’t she be recognized as a prophet, advocating the healing power of Elisha?

Who are the prophets in our lives today and how do we receive them?  Do we live by what we see and hear on the television and in the news?  Do we even hear what is being said by the person sitting next to us or are we too busy texting someone else?  Am I to base what I believe, how I live my life on what those who are considered experts say or write or is Jesus trying to deliver a message to me through the quiet voice of a lowly servant, or a friend, or my niece?

I don’t know about you, but too often I dismiss the ideas of someone because I don’t think they have the expertise to know what they’re talking about.   They are not what I’m looking for or what they are saying isn’t profound enough, it’s too simple.    The more “power” we know, have, command, the more powerless we are to see things simply and clearly.  Faith can be a very simple thing if we allow it to be.  Jesus loves me.  I believe in God.  Jesus was crucified, died and resurrected – to save me.   Simplicity can be profound and life changing.

Mary Schmelter, MSW, is Academic Advisor in the School for Professional Studies.

This entry was posted in 2012 Season of Lent. Bookmark the permalink.