Daily Reflection: March 22, 2012

Thursday of the fourth week of Lent

Ex 32:7-14

Ps 106:19-20, 21-22, 23

Jn 5:31-47

The readings for the day can be found here.

The readings today are argumentative:

God tells Moses, “Go down at once … there’s trouble in the camp.”

Moses responds, “Don’t be hasty, there is trouble, but don’t make it worse.”

Jesus upbraids the people for disbelief and hard heartedness.
God, Moses and Jesus all seem frustrated with ‘the people’.  Honestly, sometimes when I work with God’s people, in my own little world, I can get a bit frustrated with them myself.
In the responsorial psalm, we, the people, cry out for God to remember us with favor. We acknowledge that we have stumbled, we have fallen, we have wandered after our own path. But today, we cry out for God to remember us, and help us up and help us to find the right path and to walk it with courage.

Yet it seems that in truth God has always been there, God has not forgotten. It is we who have forgotten, we have been distracted, we have not been faithful. So perhaps we should not be praying ‘remember us Lord’, perhaps we should be praying ‘remind us Lord’. Remind me I’m not alone. Remind me I have only to turn to you for help. Remind me that your yoke is easy and your burden light. Remind me that you have carved me in the palm of your hand. Remind me that wherever I am, wherever I go, whatever I’ve done, whatever I’m suffering, your love embraces me and sustains me. I take a moment now to rest in your embrace.

Amy Hereford, C.S.J., is a civil and canon lawyer who teaches in the School of Professional Studies.

This entry was posted in 2012 Season of Lent. Bookmark the permalink.