Daily Reflection: March 31, 2012

Saturday of the fifth week of Lent

Ez 37:21-28

Jeremiah 31:10, 11-12abcd, 13

Jn 11:45-56

The readings for the day can be found here.

Before attending school on a Catholic campus, I knew little about the Lenten season. Growing up as a Hindu in the South, there wasn’t a lot of discussion of different religious practices. Upon coming to SLU, I was eager to seek out these conversations. Over the past four years, I have learned about why Lent is such an important time for my Catholic friends and how it truly serves as a time to strengthen and deepen one’s faith. It was inspiring to see people all over campus come together to grow with one another and resolve to make changes that would help them feel closer to God. I feel this is an experience that can be appreciated by people of all faith traditions since we can all grow in learning from each other.

The words of Responsorial Psalm resonated with me in the familiar and comforting tones of God it conveyed. “ The Lord will guard us, as a shepherd guards his flock.”

I believe the challenge lies for all members of faith to remember that God will always be protecting us, that fear and worry have no place in our lives since God will always be with us. For all students on campus – those who are leaving and those are staying – each semester brings new challenges and obstacles that are placed in our path. In times of confusion and disarray, it is important to take refuge in God and remember his
everlasting presence not only with us but within all of us.

“I will turn their mourning into joy, I will console and gladden them after their sorrows.”

God will not place challenges before us that we cannot overcome. It is through the difficult times in our life that we are challenged to turn to God, and recognize that his presence will “turn our mourning into joy.” These lines give me comfort because they help me accept the present as it is, and recognize that each life follows its own path for a reason. Letting go and turning to God are the surest ways to find that sought after balance and calm.

Anu Gorukanti is a senior neuroscience major.  She is involved with the Great Issues Committee, ATLAS week committee, and InterFaith Alliance.

This entry was posted in 2012 Season of Lent. Bookmark the permalink.