Daily Reflection: April 3, 2012

Tuesday of Holy Week

Is 49:1-6

Ps 71:1-2, 3-4a, 5ab-6ab, 15 and 17

Jn 13:21-33, 36-38

The readings for the day can be found here.

Today’s reading is titled “The Servant of the Lord” and is from Isaiah, Chapter 49. To me, this passage describes those very same values of service and social justice that drew me to a Jesuit university though I do not come from a Christian background myself.

“You are my servant… through whom I show my glory.”

“And I am made glorious in the sight of the Lord, and my God is now my strength.”

This first line describes our greater purpose in life of being God’s servants to carry out to the best of our ability what he calls us to do. This can be a heavy and demanding duty to uphold, and so we are reminded in the second line that all the strength we need to fulfill this call will come from God. Even as a college student, I have found how physically and emotionally overwhelming it can become to engage in the service of others, but this thought of continuing this service so that God’s glory can be seen through me provides the motivation to keep going.

“Though I thought I had toiled in vain, and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength, Yet my reward is with the Lord, my recompense is with my God.”

So often, pursuing our call to be servants of God and His Creation becomes difficult, frustrating, and goes unappreciated. This passage reminds us that all of our hard work will surely come to fruition for God knows our actions and intentions better than anyone.

This line in particular resonated deeply with me because it reminded me of Mother Teresa’s Final Analysis, which I have turned to on numerous occasions for strength, guidance, and perseverance.

Excerpts from the Final Analysis:

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.

Be kind anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.

Create anyway.

The good you do today will often be forgotten.

Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.

Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God.

It was never between you and them anyway.

To those observing the Lenten season, I hope that you too can find strength and motivation through today’s reading as you engage in fasting, prayer, and almsgiving.

Nipun Gupta  is a senior studying Philosophy and International Studies.  She is involved in Interfaith Alliance, Atlas Week, Hindu Students’ Community and Indian Students’ Association, and loves Mexican food.

This entry was posted in 2012 Season of Lent. Bookmark the permalink.