Student Spotlight: Taylor Baum, ROTC Cadet

Taylor Baum, sophomore at SLU

I had the pleasure of interviewing Taylor Baum, ROTC cadet and exceptional SLU student. Read on to learn a little bit about her experience with SLU and ROTC.

Q. Where are you from?

A. St. Louis (South City)

Q. Why did you come to SLU?

A. SLU has a very good medical/pre-med program and it is a well-renowned school. I know that they have a very good science program and figured it would be a good choice.

Q. What are you majoring in and what will you be doing with your degree?

A. I am a psych/pre-med major and I will like to go to medical school and become some kind of doctor.

Q. What are your interests and hobbies?

A. I do research at SLU. I work in an evolutionary botany lab. I spend a lot of time studying. Besides that I like to relax with friends.

Q. How did you become interested in Army ROTC?

A. I like to be challenged constantly – physical, mental, emotional – and I feel like ROTC encompasses all of those different things and is making me a better person. I really like that. And I think the Army has tons to offer, like health benefits and travel. I knew I wanted to go to college first so ROTC was an obvious choice.

Q. How have you benefited from your ROTC training?

A. I’ve definitely been more confident. My interpersonal skills have been better, like leadership obviously. Sending out emails and talking to people and giving them all the information necessary, like every detail and realizing how much you have to tell people, just things like that.

Q. Would you recommend Army ROTC to incoming college freshmen and high school seniors? If so, why?

A. Yes. I definitely would. Obviously I would tell them it is a huge time commitment because it is more than I thought it would be. Just like I said it made me a better person and more confident. The things that I have learned are amazing and I have a ton more to learn too. I really look forward to coming to stuff like I have met a lot of good friends through ROTC and a lot of really awesome people.

If you would like more information about the ROTC at SLU, visit: http://www.slu.edu/military-student-resources-home/rotc-programs.