Online Offerings in Organizational Studies

Posted by Stephanie Mooshegian

Welcome to my first SPS blog posting! As a full time SPS faculty member and Assistant Program Chair of Organizational Studies, I have the opportunity to instruct SPS students, collaborate with our adjunct faculty, and oversee online courses in the Organizational Studies Program.

In addition to my administrative and teaching assignments, I also conduct research in the areas of retention, stress, and personality and provide consulting services in the areas of organizational assessment, employee retention, training evaluation, employee development, strategic planning, and survey design.

I will blog on many of these topics in upcoming posts. My intent is to keep you informed about the Organizational Studies Program and to offer a faculty perspective on how adult learners can be successful students. Because adult learners are able to directly apply what they learn in class to their jobs, I will also highlight interesting research findings and industry practices. In this blog, I would like to share some of the exciting things that are happening within the Organizational Studies Program as we move forward.

This fall, we will launch a Master’s degree in Leadership and Organizational Development. This program is unique in that program requirements and curricular design center around 12 leadership competencies. Therefore, upon completion of the program, students will have gained the competencies that make an effective leader. I think a competency-based program is appealing to employers. If you are interested in earning a Master’s degree, I encourage you to learn more about the program.

To accommodate the lifestyle of busy, adult learners, the OS program is continuing to expand the number of courses and programs offered online in 2010. Now, the entire OS major is offered online as well as minors/certificate programs in: Contract Management, Hospitality Management, Industrial Psychology, Organizational Leadership, and Sales Leadership.

While our program prides itself on maintaining academic rigor in all course formats, the online options allow adult learners the flexibility of determining when they will learn. When I teach online courses, I notice that students log in at all hours. One of my students who worked the night shift often studied at 4:00 A.M! Another one of my students was a mother of three young children and often logged in between 8:00 PM and 10:00 PM after the kids were sleeping. The online format offers students flexibility, and students who have the self-discipline to manage themselves can be quite successful online learners!

With a new program and expansion of online learning, 2010 will be a busy and exciting year for the Organizational Studies Program. I am looking forward to being part of these initiatives, and I will certainly keep you up to date and informed with my blog postings. Stay tuned, and thanks for reading!