Why is your education so important?

By: Tanya Griffin, Director of Enrollment Services at SLU’s School for Professional Studies

When I graduated with my Bachelor of Science in Political Science, one of my favorite professors said something I will never forget.  He pulled me aside on my graduation day and said, “Congratulations.  Your education is something that can never be taken away from you.”  I didn’t realize the depth of his statement until I reflected on it later.

“Something that can never be taken away from you.”  Think about that for a moment.  Not only do I have the physical symbols of my completed degree – a diploma, a cap and gown, a copy of my transcripts.  More importantly, I have the knowledge I learned throughout those four years.  I learned theories and application.  I learned social skills and critical thinking.  I learned how to work as a team and how to manage my time.

As my students progress through their education at SPS, I know that they are learning more than they could ever realize.  They are receiving a quality Saint Louis University education in the classroom.  They are learning about themselves as individuals, as leaders, as members of a team and as employees. The skills and knowledge gained at SLU will be with them for the rest of their lives – often in ways they can’t identify.

If you are thinking about taking that next step to pursue your educational goals, just remember that your education can never be taken away from you.  You will carry it with you always and it will change you in a positive way.