Embracing a Fresh Start

By: Katie Devany, Program Coordinator for the Hospitality Management program at Saint Louis University

As the end of the calendar year draws near, I find myself engaging in moments of reflection; recounting accomplishments, failures, surprises, and hope for new beginnings in the year to come.  However, reflection soon transforms into a self-evaluation.  Did I execute the goals I so exuberantly declared at the beginning of the year?  Have I grown professionally, personally, and spiritually?  The response to each question may not always result in a resounding “yes”.

Despite the rather dispiriting results of my self-assessment, the possibilities of starting anew, of having another chance, stir a sense of excitement and renewed aspiration.  I am eager to set fresh goals for 2014 knowing I can do better than the year before, and ready for the challenge I bestow upon myself.  As you peer over the edge of what is soon to be a new year what does your self-evaluation reveal?  What areas of your life are in need of repair, challenge, or change?   And more importantly, what can be done to resolve and complete these areas; creating a sense of fulfillment, success, and pride?

In the spirit of reflection, I invite you to view this video featuring hospitality management student, Deneva Eivins.  Her testimony provides a beautiful example of accomplishing a goal, albeit set several “new year’s” ago, and the many opportunities that have come as a result.

Best wishes for a happy and bright holiday season!

If you are interested in learning more about hospitality education please visit http://www.slu.edu/x11298.xml for more information or contact Katie Devany (devanyk@slu.edu).