- Student Tech Service Center
- Hardware and Software Discounts
- IT Intern Program
- Let your major be your guide
- Center for Advanced Dental Education (CADE)
- College of Arts and Sciences
- John Cook School of Business
- College of Education
- Parks College of Engineering Aviation and Technology
- Doisy College of Health Sciences
- Albert Gnaegi Center for Health Care Ethics
- School of Law
- Madrid, Spain Campus
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- Center for Outcomes Research
- College of Philosophy and Letters
- School of Professional Studies
- School of Public Health
- School of Social Work
- Center for Sustainability
- Undecided Major
- Service, Support, and Information
- GameNight 2015
- SMART Desk 2015
- ITS Home Page
Let Your Major Be Your Guide - Parks College of Engineering Aviation and Technology
Research has determined that 99% of incoming students to Saint Louis University bring with them a computer and associated software. In order to realize the greatest benefit of the technology, a set of minimum recommendations have been developed to offer you a degree of continuity with the existing infrastructure and various program requirements. It is strongly recommended that you contact your department chairperson to determine the best computer configuration for your particular program.
In order to provide guidance in your selection of a computer for your Saint Louis University experience the faculty and staff of Parks College recommend the following minimum guidelines when selecting a computing platform and operating system. These recommendations are intended to serve as a college-wide minimum platform not necessarily tailored to a specific program or course. If you have questions about the usability of a particular computer feel free to ask the Chairperson of the department you are interested in joining.
|Minimum Software||Recommended Software|
|Windows||Windows 7 Home Premium
Microsoft Office 2007
Windows 7 Professional
|Apple||Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
Microsoft Office 2008
Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
MINIMUM HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS: (1 to 2-year life span at SLU)
500 GBHard Drive
|NIC (10/100 base-t
|CD-ROM / CD-RW or, DVD-ROM /DVD ± RW
4GB USB Drive
RECOMMENDED HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS: (3 to 4-year life span at SLU)
Intel Quad Core i5 or i7
Intel Quad Core i5 or i7
|8GB ram or Greater
500GB Hard Drive or Greater
|NIC (gb Ethernet Card) and Wireless NIC (802.11 g/n)||
DVD-ROM / DVD - RW
VGA Display Out
- An HP Pavilion 14t Touch with i3-5010u, 6GB of memory, and 750GB Hard Drive retail for $649 (3/3/2015)
- A Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with a Core i7-5500u, 8GB of memory, and 1TB Hard Drive retails for $1,199 (3/3/2015)
- A MacBook Air 13" with similar configuration retails for $1,249 (3/3/2015)
- This should not be construed as an endorsement of Dell, or MAC computers but only examples of the cost of a computer with these specifications.
- The MacBook will require an adapter purchased separately to be compatible with projectors used at SLU.
- Most engineering applications will only work with a windows operating system if you decide to go with a mac you will need to install windows with either Boot Camp or Parallels for full compatibility.
- A Discrete graphic card is not needed but would be beneficial for 3D applications in Civil Engineering or Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering.
Questions regarding these recommendations may be forwarded to Professor Kyle Mitchell email@example.com, Professor Terrence Kelly firstname.lastname@example.org, or Professor Larry Boyer email@example.com.