- Accounting & Financial Reporting
- Accounts Payable
- Auxiliary Services
- Business Services
- Contract Approval Process
- Doing Business with Saint Louis University
- eProcurement System
- Exclusive University Business Partners
- Hotel Accommodations
- Master Vendor Form Instructions
- P-Card Policies and Procedures
- Photocopy Equipment Acquisition
- Purchasing FAQ
- Purchasing Policies and Procedures
- Selecting a Vendor
- Sole Source Form
- Vendor Discounts for Personal Purchases
- Vendor List: University
- Vendor List: Medical
- Vendor Performance Feedback Form
- Vendor Programs
- Vendor Requirements
- Year End Processing
- Fiscal Year End Process
- FY17 Purchase Requisitions
- Year End Requisitioning Procedures
- Copying a Requisition
- Fiscal Year End Processing Checklist
- P-Card Charges for FY16 and FY17
- Year End Calendar
- Split-Run Coding
- Budget Roll Process
- Deferred Charges
- Contact Business Services
- Card Programs
- Central Processing Center
- Employee Reimbursement
- Financial Commitment
- Financial Planning & Budget
- Financial Services
- Parking and Card Services
- Real Estate
- Risk Management & Insurance
- Treasury & Investments
- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Instructions to the Commitment Offices
Payments made in the current fiscal year for services or goods to be received next fiscal year should be processed as DEFERRED CHARGES. In addition, payments that are directly related to the delivery of summer session classes are deferred. Deferring an expense involves processing the eSeePay DPV (Direct Payment Voucher) or Purchase Requisition against a special deferred charges clearing fund rather than the departmental fund indicated on the document. In the new fiscal year, the departmental fund will be charged for these expenses. Please note that restricted sponsored programs (3XXXXX) and plant construction (7XXXXX) funds do not have deferred charges.
The following expenses should be deferred:
- Athletics department payments to students for summer school board, beginning in late May.
- Expenses in excess of $500 that are directly related to the delivery of summer session classes.
For example, if a purchase requisition is processed for textbooks or materials to be used by students in a summer institute or course, the fund number should be changed to the deferred fund. Direct summer session expenses also include the honoraria paid by the College of Arts & Sciences and the School of Education to summer institute instructors.
The administrative costs associated with operating the summer sessions office and recruiting students (e.g., advertising and travel) are indirect to the delivery of class instruction, and not subject to deferral.
- Deposits for events/speaker fees, where total cost of the event is in excess of $500, and the event is scheduled after June 30.
For example, if a Purchase Requisition is processed for a retreat to be held in the new fiscal year, but a deposit is required before the end of old fiscal year, the deposit should be processed to the deferred fund. See below for additional instructions.
- Expenses for subscriptions/memberships/professional services in excess of $500, but less than $5,000, where the preponderance of the benefit will occur after July 1.
For example, if a DPV is submitted for a yearly journal that starts in April, May or June, and is greater than $500, then the charge is deferred. The Commitment Offices should first verify that a payment has already been recorded to the current fiscal year, and then notify the department that the charge is to be deferred.
Expenses less than $500 are considered immaterial and are not generally deferred unless specifically requested by the department.
- Expenses for subscriptions/memberships/professional services in excess of $5,000, should be allocated between fiscal years based on the number of months that fall in each year. Contact your Commitment Office for instructions.
The Commitment Office is responsible for reviewing a document and determining if the expense will be deferred. When indicated as a deferred charge, please process the document as follows:
1. For purchase requisitions, including speaker/event fees requiring a deposit, type a note at the Document Text window requesting that CPC-Financial Commitment changes the fund number to the appropriate deferred fund number. For eSeePay DPV's, type a note on FOATEXT requesting that CPC-Accounts Payable changes the fund number to the appropriate deferred fund number. The following deferred charges fund numbers are used depending on the type of departmental fund:
Designated Funds: 200003-169000
Note: To accommodate the Banner system, please instruct CPC-Financial Commitment to change the fund number to 990912 (Deferred Charges-Designated) for purchase requisition documents. The account code may remain as submitted by the department.
Note: To accommodate the Banner system, please instruct CPC-Financial Commitment to change the fund number to 990918 (Deferred Charges-UMG) for purchase requisition documents. The account code may remain as submitted by the department.
Other Funds: 012250-169000
(1XXXXX, 4XXXXX, 9XXXXX)
Note: To accommodate the Banner system, please instruct CPC-Financial Commitment to change the fund number to 990919 (Deferred Charges) for purchase requisition documents. The account code may remain as submitted by the department.
2. Forward a copy of the document to Donna Brooks (firstname.lastname@example.org) with no back-up. The original departmental fund number must be legible or indicated in the document text.