An account code is a six-digit numeric value that defines the specific type of revenue source and/or expenditure within a fund.
The account code's structure has been established to be consistent across all funds:
- Budget Codes: (Certain digits are indicated by a "-") These codes are to be used for budgeting purposes only. They have been established for identifying budget dollars within a fund for groups of account codes which are similar in nature. For example, a budget can be set up for travel and related (73----), but expenditures must be coded against a specific account code (739100).
- Standard Codes: (All six digits are predefined or the "X" is replaced with a zero) These codes have been assigned specific values and descriptions in the account code listing. For purposes of summarizing data across the University, Standard Codes for revenue and expense must be used consistently for the designated purpose by all departments.
- User Defined Codes: (Certain digits are indicated by an "X") These codes are available for use by departments for the purpose of further subdividing types of revenues or expenditures. Care should be taken when assigning values to User Defined Codes to assure that the assignment made is consistent with the summary title description on the account code listing.
The account code listings include revenue and expenditure Budget Codes and Standard Codes.
Users may view a complete list of revenue and expenditure account codes in one of two ways:
- Internet Native Banner (INB): Go to Internet Native Banner (INB) form FTVACCT, Account Code Validation. Perform a query by pressing the F7 function key, tab to Account Code and enter the digits of the account code preceding the "x's" and then enter the wildcard (for example, 751%), and press the F8 function key. The form will list all valid account codes according to the specific selection criteria.
- Cognos: Users who have access to the Fiscal Management folder may run the BUSFM120 Banner Account Code Hierarchy - Operating Ledger report for a list of all revenue and expenditure account codes in Excel format.
Click here for information regarding travel account code changes effective 7/1/11 (FY12).
Click here for information regarding transfer account code changes effective 7/1/11 (FY12).
Click here for information regarding consolidation of account codes effective 7/1/12 (FY13).