SOA Trip Logistics
Location and Housing
The vigil takes place in Columbus, Georgia. Participants will be staying at the following hotel:
Best Western Columbus Hotel
3443 Macon Road
Columbus, Georgia 31907-2527
Timeframe and Travel
Participants will gather on Friday, November 19 at 7:30 pm in the College Church Ballroom for the send-off ceremony. The bus will depart at 9:30 pm from outside of College Church on Lindell. Participants will return on Monday, November 22 at approx. 2:00 am. However, in the past they have arrived back on campus anywhere from 1:00 am to 5:30 am. Travel will be by chartered bus. A detailed itinerary of the trip will be provided at the send-off gathering on the 19th. The bus will shuttle the group between the hotel and the vigil throughout the weekend.
A light breakfast will be provided at the hotel for the duration of the trip. However, all other meals, snacks, and drinks are up to the individual students and are not included in the trip fees. There are several restaurants nearby the hotel.
Trip Fee - $100
Campus Ministry subsidizes the trip to keep the overall costs as low as possible. The total fee for the trip includes transportation, housing, and a continental breakfast. The breakdown for payment includes a $40 registration deposit.
Center for Social Justice Stipends
Students in the School of Social Work may be eligible for a stipend from the Center for Social Justice. Please see Dr. Allen, (314) 977-2734 for more information.
What to Bring:
- Money for food.
- An overnight bag. (pajamas, toiletries, clothes, prescriptions, etc).
- Weather appropriate clothing and accessories. There is always a chance of rain or inclement weather. Generally highs are in the 60's and lows are in the 30's.
- Items for the bus ride. The bus rides can get chilly. Some people like bringing blankets to keep warm. You may want to bring a pillow for the overnight ride. You might also want to bring personal entertainment devices (i-pods, etc.), a book and a book light, etc.
- Your cell phone & charger. We may need to reach you if we cannot find you, so bring your cell phone and charger.
- Anything else is up to you. Some people like to bring cameras, etc.
Important Registration Dates
Registration Available - September 12th
Registration Deadline - October 15th
Final Payments Due - November 5th
SOA Vigil Registration Form- Coming Soon!