Suzanne Mahon, DNSc, RN, AOCN, APGN, is the only nurse in Missouri to be certified in genetics and is an expert in interpretation, management and test results. Dr. Mahon helps families understand the implications of their family history and offers in-depth education and risk assessment regarding all types of cancer.
The Hereditary Cancer Screening Program identifies individuals and families at risk and provides comprehensive education and counseling regarding the potential risks, benefits and psychosocial ramifications of genetic testing and recommendations for the prevention and early detection of cancer.
Saint Louis University Cancer Center offers the following clinical genetic services: Diagnosis of genetic disorders that can lead to:
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Malignant melanoma
- Ovarian cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Cancer risk assessment
- Genetic counseling and education
- Predictive testing for late-onset disorders
- Coordination of testing options with the appropriate genetic laboratories
- Development of management guidelines for patients with these diagnosed conditions
- Provision of genetic services to family members
- Education and training of other health care professionals
For more information or to make an appointment with Dr. Mahon, call (314) 577-8854.
Read Dr. Mahon's latest blog entry on ONS Connect here.