Adding Vectors in 3D
This applet is designed to build intuition about adding and subtracting
vectors in 3D.
- The applet has a control window and a graphics windows called
- The vectors V and W are entered in the control window as ordered
triples. Readout boxes give the value of sum and difference, of
the length of each vector, and of the dot product of the two vectors.
- The Vectors window shows the two vectors. The scale factor
of the diagram is given by the value of the variable scale from the
control window. It gives the length of the axes in the window.
- Check boxes allow you to add the construction for V+W and V-W.
- The Vectors window is 3D. The orientation can be cahnged
either by dragging the mouse in the window or by using the view menu.
This applet was designed as by modifying an applet from a demo by
Tom Banchoff at
Brown University. It is used
with permission. Go to the Banchoff Applet
Return to the Banchoff Applet page.
Return to the SLU Calculus
Return to the Saint Louis University Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Last updated By Mike May, S.J.
October 6, 2006.