A Partial Derivatives Applet
A this applet is designed to build intuition about partial derivatives
of functions of two variables.
- The control panel asks for values of xWindow, yWindow, and
zWindow to establish a viewing window and a definition of the function
- The value of x0 and y0 are controlled by the vcr buttons in the
- The three graphics windows give the graph of the surface along
with slices in the planes x=x0 and y=y0.
- Checkboxes allow the suppression of the surface, or the curves
and tangent lines on the slices.
- Readout boxes give the values of f(x0,y0) and the slopes of the
tangent lines to the slices.
This applet was designed as by modifying an applet from a demo by
Tom Banchoff at
Brown University. It is used
with permission. Go to the Banchoff Applet
Return to the Banchoff Applet page.
Return to the SLU Calculus
Return to the Saint Louis University Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Last updated By Mike May, S.J.
October 6, 2006.