- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Dual degree programs
- Health administration
- Public health degrees
- BS in Biostatistics
- BS in Emergency Management
- BS in Health Management
- BS in Public Health
- Master of Public Health
- Behavioral Science and Health Education
- Biosecurity and Disaster Preparedness
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Global Health
- Health Management and Policy
- Maternal and Child Health
- Public Health Practice
- MPH joint concentrations
- MS in Public Health
- PhD in Public Health Studies
- Social work degrees
Master of Public Health in Maternal and Child Health
The MPH in Maternal and Child Health gives students a broad exposure to the most pressing needs of maternal and child health populations both globally and domestically
MONTHLY OPEN HOUSE
Find class and curriculum information, and more
Coursework focuses on the design and evaluation of maternal and child health programs as well as leadership skills needed to advocate for mothers and children. Students who graduate with this concentration are well- prepared for professional roles in a wide variety of settings such as public health departments, federal agencies and in private industry.
Joint Concentration Option
A joint concentration degree combines the competencies of each concentration. Students can combine either Epidemiology or Global Health with Maternal Child Health:
- Epidemiology (Minimum total credit hours required is 54)
- Global Health (Minimum total credit hours required is 52)
Competencies are student outcomes - both knowledge and skills - that are specific to the degree and to the area of study. They reflect the knowledge and skills that we strive to develop in our students and form the basis of our evaluation of each student's achievement. For the MPH, there is a set of core competencies and set of discipline-specific competencies that guide the development of the curriculum. The competency sets are developed with input from current public health practitioners, our alumni, our faculty and our students to reflect current and future needs of the profession.
Maternal and Child Health Concentration Competencies
- MCH 1: Describe the history and characteristics of MCH population health.
- MCH 2: Communicate clearly to a variety of audiences, e.g., professional, lay, from various cultural and ethnic groups.
- MCH 3: Use data to identify issues related to the health status of an MCH population.
- MCH 4: Develop cultural sensitivity.
- MCH 5: Plan and evaluate MCH policies and programs.
SLU graduates are employed all over the nation and internationally in a wide variety of settings and positions. Some of the career paths in maternal and child health include:
- Project Manager
- Community Health Educator
- Outreach Specialist
- Health Data Analyst
Faculty and Research
Our faculty are internationally recognized as leaders in the field of maternal and child health and have active research in areas such as:
- Maternal and Child Epidemiology
- Childhood Neurological and Developmental Disabilities
- Sleep Duration and Maternal and Fetal Outcomes
- Maternal Depression
- Modifiable Risk Factors for Preterm Delivery
MPH Practice Experience
Students in the Master of Public Health (MPH) Program are required to complete a practice experience (internship) with an approved community health organization and preceptor. This 320-hour experience is designed to enhance students' educational experiences and promote professional competence in Maternal and Child Health.
Internships in this concentration might involve the following activities: designing and evaluating maternal and child health programs and developing leadership skills needed to advocate for mothers and children. The program emphasizes applying knowledge both globally and domestically. Examples of organizations that have sponsored internships include: Mathews Dickey Boy's & Girl's Club, Maternal Child and Family Health Coalition, and St. Martin de Porres Parish (Belize).
Students in joint concentrations will have a curriculum that varies from the one below.
MPH Core Curriculum