- Travel Policies and Procedures
College of Arts & Sciences Travel Policies and Procedures for Employees
1. Notify the College of your department chair's or program director's approval by submitting the SLU Arts & Sciences Travel Form.
2. All requests for policy exceptions must be submitted on the Travel & Expense Policy Exception Request form. Policy exceptions include, but are not limited to:
- Not booking arrangements through TravelPlex, including flight, car rental, or hotel (excluding conference hotel bookings)
- Booking conference hotel at a higher rate than lowest published
- Not requesting pre-approval for travel
- Submitting expenses more than 60 days from date incurred
Do not include policy exception requests on the SLU Arts & Sciences Travel Form.
3. Get trip number [Self-Service Banner > Employee > Trip Menu > Create Trip for SLU Employee]. Submit any subsequent changes or cancellations, e.g. dates of travel, destination, to email@example.com.
4. If traveling internationally, you must register your travel in order to be covered by the University's International Travel Accident Insurance. Find details and enrollment information here.
5. Request a travel profile through your department staff person. You will need to provide your name exactly as it appears on your driver's license and/or passport along with your SLU email address. Once your travel profile has been created, you will have access the Cliqbook site, available through the Tools tab in mySLU.
6. Airfare must be booked through TravelPlex. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this policy. Tutorials are available here.
7. Travel by personal automobile for travel more than 200 miles round-trip requires justification. Use the Transportation Calculator. Reimbursement of personal car mileage over 30 miles total requires a Mapquest page showing the total number of miles traveled for each trip.
8. Travel with rental vehicle requires justification. Use the Transportation Calculator.
9. Conference hotels may be used. Provide a copy of the conference program or website showing the conference hotel name and rate. Any hotel booking made outside TravelPlex requires documentation showing a rate lower than that available through TravelPlex. However, you must call a designated TravelPlex agent at 314-569-1900, and give them an opportunity to meet or beat the cheaper price. Written confirmation from TravelPlex stating they cannot meet or beat the cheaper price is required for reimbursement. There is no fee for questions; a fee is charged only if the agent books your flights for you.
10. Itemized receipts are required to be submitted for reimbursement of actual meal expenses. Travelers have the option of receiving 60% of the US government published per diem rate for their destination in lieu of submitting receipts.
11. Traveler must submit travel expense reimbursement through Concur within 60 days of trip's completion. Follow University Travel Policies and include a copy of your travel pre-approval with receipts.
Detailed University policies and procedures are available at on the Business & Finance website