- Travel Policies and Procedures
College of Arts & Sciences Travel Policies and Procedures for Graduate Students
Graduate students receiving:
- only GSA funding are not required to receive travel pre-approval. They are not required to get a trip number or to book travel through TravelPlex. Please note that if non-GSA University funding becomes available, students will not be eligible for this additional funding unless they are given a policy exception. Requests for policy exceptions may be denied, and delay reimbursement even when approved.
Upon completion of travel, submit request for reimbursement according to GSA Funding Guidelines.
- departmental or College funding in addition to GSA funding must receive travel pre-approval from their department chair or program director, and notify the College by submitting the SLU Arts & Sciences Travel Form. They are not required to get a trip number or book travel through TravelPlex.*
Upon completion of travel, submit request for GSA reimbursement according to GSA Funding Guidelines. To receive departmental or College funding, email a copy of the College of Arts & Sciences Conference Award Application for Graduate Students along with a scanned copy of the GSA Award Coversheet and all receipts to email@example.com.
- only departmental or College funding must receive travel pre-approval and notify the College by submitting the SLU Arts & Sciences Travel Form. They are not required to get a trip number or book travel through TravelPlex.*
Upon completion of travel, submit expenses to the unit providing the funding, e.g. their academic department, using the College of Arts & Sciences Conference Award Application for Graduate Students.
- funds from a grant or sponsored program, including students who are also receiving GSA funding, must follow University travel procedures for Employees when making travel arrangements.
Upon completion of travel, students receiving funding only from a sponsored program may choose to submit their reimbursements for payment either through Concur (if they have expenses booked through Cliqbook), or through an eSeePay Online DPV, making sure to attach a completed eSee DPV Student Travel Cover Page.
Students receiving funding from both GSA and a sponsored program must submit their request for reimbursement both to GSA according to GSA Funding Guidelines and through Concur according to policies for SLU employees.
In Concur, itemize only allowable expenses, only up to the amount that is reimbursable on the grant.
Note: You may find it helpful to complete the College of Arts & Sciences Conference Award Application for Graduate Students as well, as this helps clarify the submitted expenses.
- Attach a copy of the GSA Award Coversheet and Worksheet as well as receipts for all allowable travel expenses.
* Please note: Any student for whom the University pre-pays travel expenses, e.g. conference registration or airfare, must have a trip number.
**All requests for policy exceptions must be submitted on the Travel & Expense Policy Exception Request form. Policy exceptions include, but are not limited to:
- Booking conference hotel at a higher rate than lowest published
- Not booking arrangements through TravelPlex, including flight, or hotel (excluding conference hotel bookings)
- Not requesting pre-approval for travel
- Submitting expenses more than 60 days from date incurred
Do not include policy exception requests on the SLU Arts & Sciences Travel Form.
***IMPORTANT NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL: Any student who receives university travel funds (including GSA) for international travel must purchase international travel insurance covering health care, medical evacuation and repatriation through the International Services website. You may not purchase your own insurance and you must provide proof that you have purchased insurance through the SLU provider before your travel can be approved.
Detailed University policies and procedures are available at on the Business & Finance website