A&S Academic Advising Policies and Procedures
The Office of Academic Advising provides essential academic information and informs students about University policies and procedures and academic policies for the College of Arts & Sciences.
A student is considered to be in good academic standing if he or she is not under academic suspension and has not been required to withdraw from the University. The University's minimum grade point average for good academic standing is 2.00.
- Academic Probation Status
If a student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) earned at Saint Louis University falls below 2.00, that student is not eligible for further registration unless probationary status is granted by his or her academic dean. Although the University's minimum grade point average is 2.00, some individual programs, schools, or colleges may require higher minimum grade point averages. A student may remain on University probation for no more than two consecutive semesters. (See Undergraduate Catalog Saint Louis University, Academic Standing)
- Academic Dismissal
The Saint Louis University Undergraduate Catalog, Academic Standing states that a student will be dismissed from the University under the following conditions:1. Inability to eliminate probationary status within the two semesters subsequent to the assignment of probation;
2. A total grade point average deficit of more than 15 points.
Dismissed students may consider applying for readmission to Saint Louis University after attending another college or university and achieving satisfactory grades.
- Petition for Reinstatement
Students dismissed from the University may petition for reinstatement by submitting the Petition for Reinstatement form. Students may be reinstated with specific conditions for continued enrollment. Failure to meet the conditions specified may result in cancellation of registration and academic dismissal.
Adding/Dropping a Major, Minor, or Certificate Program
Arts & Sciences students should talk with their academic advisor regarding any change in their academic programs. To add or drop a major, minor, or certificate, students must complete and submit the Major Confirmation/Declaration form or the Minor/Certificate Declaration form. Faculty mentors are assigned and posted in Banner by the Academic Department pending acceptance.
Request to Change Arts & Sciences Academic Advisor
In some cases, the advisor-student relationship is not a good match and a change may enhance communication and interaction between the student and advisor. Students may request to change their advisor by completing the Request to Change Advisor form at the front desk in Verhaegen Hall, room 215.
Undergraduate Academic Policies
Information on the following found in the University Catalog
- Academic Integrity; Academic Dishonesty
- Academic Standing (Dean's List, Probationary Status, Suspension, Dismissal)
- Auditing Courses
- Class Ranking
- Change of Grade; Grade Appeal
- Credit and the Semester Hour
- Credit by Exam (CLEP; Language)
- Dual Credit/Concurrent Enrollment
- Examinations (final exams; mid-semester exams)
- Grade Reports (Midterm grades, Final Grades; GPA; Grading System)
- Graduation Requirements; Graduation Honors
- Incomplete Grades
- Intra-University Transfer - transferring to another school/college at SLU
- Pass/No Pass Option
- Registration -Registering for more than 18 Credit Hours; Late registration; Graduate courses
- Repeating Courses
- Transfer Credit; Credit for non-resident summer courses