Regularly Scheduled Conferences (RSC)
1. Obtain Approval or Renewal of CME Credits
To obtain approval of a new RSC:
- Complete an Application for Approval of AMA Credits for Live Regularly Scheduled Conference
- Course Director and Planning Committee Members must complete Disclosure Form and Validation of Content Form
- Submit all completed documents referenced above to CME Office at least 90 days in advance of the first session
To renew approval for existing activities (renewed on a 1 year cycle)
- Complete an Appplication for Approval of AMA Credits for Live Regularly Scheduled Conference
- Submit forms to CME Office by May 1st of the upcoming new cycle
2. Announcements and Flyers
A flyer reflecting all of the required information listed below must be prominently displayed at the sign-in area of each session of a regularly scheduled conference. A template for the flyer has been provided by the CME Department to aid the sponsoring department or division. All flyers must be created using this standard template. Please refer to the Promotional Guidelines for additional information governing CME flyers, announcements and calendars.
- Date of activity
- Sponsorship information
- Accreditation statement
- AMA credit designation statement
- Educational objectives
- Target audience
- Faculty information and credentials
- Disclosure policy
- Faculty/planning member disclosures
- Validation of Content policy
- Acknowledgement of commercial funding
- Program schedule/timeframe
- Registration and contact information
3. Faculty and Planner Disclosure
Faculty presenters and planners are required to complete a Faculty and Planning Committee Disclosure and Validation of Content Form in advance of each session. "Planners" include individuals that have control over the selection and/or content of the presentation.
For disclosure reporting purposes, the timeframe for disclosure of conflicts of interest has been defined as the 12 months preceding the event. SLU faculty and residents may submit a disclosure form on an annual basis. Any changes to the original disclosure must be updated immediately and a new form sent to the CME office 10 days prior to the start of the activity. If a faculty or planner does not have a relevant financial relationship to the presentation/topic, the following disclosure statement must appear on the flyer:
"(Faculty or planner name) has no relevant financial relationships He/she does not intend to include information on products/devices not approved for the use under discussion, or preliminary research data in this presentation."
If a faculty or planner does have a relevant financial relationship, the exact nature of the relationship must be included on the flyer and resolution of the conflict of interest must be accomplished before the individual(s) may participate in the activity. Please contact the CME office for assistance with appropriate disclosure statements and additional information on the resolution of conflicts of interest. See also the Faculty and Planning Committee Policy on Disclosure or more information on how to word a disclosure statement.
4. Validation of Content
As an accredited provider of continuing medical education, Saint Louis University School of Medicine follows the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Standards for Commercial Support and content validation for CME activities, which requires accredited sponsors to ensure that:
To comply with this policy, presenters are required to provide references either within their handout materials or within their slide presentations to document the sources of information used.
- All the recommendations involving clinical medicine are based on evidence that is accepted within the profession of medicine as adequate justification for their indications and contraindications in the care of patients.
- All scientific research referred to, reported or used in CME in support or justification of a patient care recommendation conforms to the generally accepted standards of experimental design, data collection and analysis.
- Providers are not eligible for ACCME accreditation or reaccreditation if they present activities that are not within the definition of CME, or known to have risks or dangers that outweigh the benefits or known to be ineffective in the treatment of patients. An organization whose program of CME is devoted to advocacy of unscientific modalities of diagnosis or therapy is not eligible to apply for ACCME accreditation.
5. Faculty CV
A faculty CV or descriptive biography must be provided for all guest faculty. Faculty credentials must be included on the flyer announcements (degree, academic or other position, institutional affiliation, city/state).
6. Commercial Letters of Agreement (LOA)
If commercial support is provided for an activity, the company providing the support must complete a Commercial Letter of Agreement prior to the activity. Commercial support includes providing monetary support or other support such as food and loans of equipment. See the Policy for Relationships with Commercial Entities for additional details and regulations. All LOA's must be signed by the commercial interest and the proper signature authority of the School of Medicine prior to the event. Send LOA's to the CME office for review and routing for signatures. (Deadlines-SLU template 5 days prior to activity. Non SLU template; company LOA, give at least four weeks prior to the activity, Office of General Counsel review period)
7. Supporting Documentation
Division coordinators responsible for providing this information to a departmental level coordinator must allow additional lead time to submit the required paperwork to the departmental level coordinator before it is considered complete. The flyer will be reviewed on an annual basis unless faculty has a relevant financial relationship and/or commercial support. If one of these two exists then the flyer must be sent to the CME office for review no later than three days prior to the activity. If the faculty disclosure in question has not been previously reviewed it should be sent with the flyer.
- Flyer or poster (must be consistent with CME template provided). (If your activity is Jointly Sponsored with an organization/agency outside SLU, please use the Jointly Sponsored template).
- Faculty & Planning Committee Disclosure
- Validation of Content Form
- Faculty CV (if guest faculty)
- Commercial Letter of Agreement (if commercial support is present)
8. Attendance Records and Database Entry
The sponsoring department or division must provide a sign-in sheet for each session of an approved activity and maintain those records for a period of at least 6 years. An individual responsible for posting and collecting sign-in sheets must be assigned at the beginning of each academic year. The CME office does not require the sign-in sheets to be submitted for their records. The CME office will conduct periodic audits of the department RSC records to ensure that records are properly maintained. The sponsoring department or division is responsible for entering the activity attendance and information into the CME database. Database entry must be maintained within 30 days after a completed activity. The link to access the database is here.
RSC activities are approved for one year, corresponding to the Saint Louis University Fiscal Cycle (July 1-June 30). Each year a new application must be submitted and for approval and renewal.
To be added as a User to CloudCME to be trained in CloudCME to post attendance, please contact the SLU CME Office.
Evaluation of the activity must be accomplished on an annual basis. Evaluation on a more frequent timeframe is commendable, but not required. If evaluations are collected throughout the year, please email those reports to the CME office for inclusion into your course file. The SLU CME program staff will send out a yearly evaluation to gather an overcome outcomes report.
10. Post-Activity Financial Report
Please fill out this Post-Activity Financial Report.
Failure to comply with the guidelines will result in the suspension of CME approval for activities.
For more forms and information, please see the Forms and Documents page.