James H. Korn Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award
One of the goals of the Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning is to promote faculty inquiry and scholarly research on teaching and learning. In 2006, the Center established the James H. Korn Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award, in recognition of Dr. Korn's many contributions to research on teaching and learning. Professor emeritus in Psychology, Dr. Korn was deeply committed to scholarly teaching; he was also a member of the faculty committee that first established the Center in 1997. Beginning in 2015, one award of $500 is given to the home department of the awardee(s) to be used as professional development funds for the awardee(s).
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) involves asking questions about student learning and teaching activities; answering those questions by assessing student learning and effectiveness of teaching strategies; and publicly sharing results of this inquiry in a setting that invites peer review.
Examples of SoTL research include:
- Implementation of a new teaching strategy and documenting its effectiveness;
- Documentation of development and implementation of an interdisciplinary teaching approach;
- Research on teacher performance, e.g. research on the effect of videotaping on teacher performance;
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of a new teaching approach in a course or curriculum, e.g. evaluation of the use of collaborative writing in a composition course;
- Research on effectiveness of integrating service learning or technology into a course.
An Award ceremony is held during the fall semester as the culmination of the annual Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Symposium; recipient(s) receive their award at that time, as well as present briefly on the award-winning research.
The Call for Nominations typically is issued each fall. Nominations can be self-submitted or submitted by others knowledgeable of the nominees' work. Recipient(s) are selected through a peer review process, led by SLU faculty.
Previous Award Winners
2006 - James Korn
2007 - Jay Hammond
2008 - Mary Rose Grant, Michael Goldwasser, David Letscher
2009 - Janet Kuebli
2010 - Paul Lynch and Janice McIntire-Strasburg
2011 - Lee SmithBattle, Patricia Freed, Sheila Leander, Dorcas McLaughlin, Nina Westhus
2012 - Kara McBride
2013 - Irma Ruebling, Rebecca Banks, Judy Carlson, Ginge Kettenbach, Kathy Kienstra, Mary Kreiger, David Pole, and Nina Westhus
2014 - Michelle Lorenzini
2015 - Stuart Slavin
2016 - Rebecca Aldrich
2017 - Simone Bregni