SLU LAW Dean Search
Saint Louis University, a Catholic, Jesuit institution dedicated to student learning, research, health care, and service, is seeking applicants for appointment as Dean of the School of Law, beginning October 2012.
Saint Louis University School of Law is a dynamic institution characterized by a vibrant scholarly community, a dedication to excellence in teaching, an engaged student body, and a recognized commitment to community service. After a recent period of expansion, the School of Law now has 71 full-time teaching faculty, 10 professional librarians, and 68 administrators and staff.
To support the professional growth of its 900 students, the scholarly development of its faculty, and the fulfillment of its social justice mission, the School of Law offers a wide variety of programs and opportunities, including:
- Three Centers of Excellence in Employment Law, Health Law, and International and Comparative Law. The Center for Health Law Studies has consistently been recognized as the leading health law program in the country.
- The Legal Clinics, housed in a newly expanded facility, coordinate 36 clinical and externship programs and provide more than 39,000 hours of legal service each year to the community.
- The Omer Poos Law Library, ranked 32 by The National Jurist, makes available the fifth-largest collection of titles among law school libraries in the nation.
- Eleven joint-degree programs, including a J.D./M.A. in Law and Sociology & Criminal Justice, J.D./M.A. in Public Administration and a J.D./Ph.D. in Health Care Ethics. A variety of study-abroad programs, featuring a summer program in international and comparative law at Saint Louis University’s Madrid campus.
The successful candidate should possess a J.D. from an accredited ABA law school or recognized legal training from an equivalent foreign institution. The candidate’s record should demonstrate innovative and consensus-building approaches to the management and organization of the School of Law, its relationship with the University’s other schools and central administration, and its diverse student, faculty, staff, and alumni constituencies. In keeping with the University’s Jesuit mission and its tradition of teaching, scholarship, and service, the candidate should:
- encourage and support innovative scholarship and effective teaching; engender an academic environment that values and promotes free, active, and original intellectual inquiry among its faculty and students; and
- welcome students, faculty, and staff of all races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and religious beliefs, and create a sense of community that facilitates their development as men and women for others.
Saint Louis University is ranked among the top research institutions in the nation. The University fosters the intellectual and character development of more than 13,000 students. Founded in 1818, it is the oldest university west of the Mississippi and the second oldest Jesuit university in the United States. Through teaching, research, health care and community service, Saint Louis University has provided one-of-a-kind education, leadership and service for 193 years.
Consideration of applications and nominations for this position will begin as they are received and will continue until the position is filled. Applications (including resume, names of references, and information regarding teaching and scholarly interests) should be submitted online at http://jobs.slu.edu. For additional information, please contact the Dean Search Committee Saint Louis University School of Law 3700 Lindell Blvd. St. Louis, Missouri 63108
Saint Louis University School of Law is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and encourages nominations and applications of women and minorities.
|About SLU LAW||About St. Louis||New Building Update|