- Undergraduate Programs
- Admissions Requirements & Procedures
- Continuation Standards
- What Can You Do With a Chemistry Major?
- Highlights of SLU Chemistry Degree Programs
- Degree Programs
- Undergraduate Research
- Undergraduate Lab Assistantships
- Integrated Advising and Mentoring
- Procedures for Taking Summer Classes Away from SLU
- Graduate School Placement
- Professional Development Opportunities
Undergraduate Lab Assistantships
Laboratory assistantships are available for especially qualified undergraduates. Laboratory assistants are used in teaching labs to help with grading and supervision of laboratory classes. This position is a very responsible one. Assistants must be familiar with the techniques and calculations used in the experiments and be capable of on-the-spot problem solving to help students with their experiments.
The duties of a student laboratory assistant include, supervising of the actual laboratory, grading the experimental write-ups, assisting with the grading of exams, and being available for after-class help sessions. These assistantships are an excellent way to reinforce and expand the depth of your basic chemistry experience. Stipends for a laboratory assistantship will vary, depending on the course. Typically, the range is $700.00 to $850.00 per semester.
Students interested in becoming Lab Assistants should inquire in the Department Office, 125 Monsanto Hall.