- Undergraduate Programs
- Admissions Requirements & Procedures
- Continuation Standards
- What Can You Do With a Chemistry Major?
- Highlights of SLU Chemistry Degree Programs
- Degree Programs
- Undergraduate Research
- Undergraduate Lab Assistantships
- Integrated Advising and Mentoring
- Procedures for Taking Summer Classes Away from SLU
- Graduate School Placement
- Professional Development Opportunities
Procedures for Selecting a Research Mentor
The procedures for selecting a research mentor are discussed in detail at the Second Year Mentoring event held in February.
The usual procedure calls for prospective research students to:
1) Pick up a booklet titled "Undergraduate Programs and Activities: Department of Chemistry" and a Mentor Request Form in Monsanto Hall 125. Students should look at the faculty descriptions of research projects.
2) Students contact faculty and ask to make an appointment to discuss research. Students should expect to meet for thirty minutes.
3) After meeting with each faculty member, have him/her sign the Mentor Request Form.
4) After meeting with at least three faculty from two areas the student completes the form by indicating his or her top three choices for Mentor. This form is to be returned to Dr. Serfis by December 1 (to start in spring) or May 1(to start in summer or fall).