- Graduate Program
Admissions and Funding
Students apply directly to Graduate Education at Saint Louis University.
All applications are now completed electronically. The following materials should be submitted for the application:
1. Graduate Education Application Form
2. Updated resume
3. Three letters of recommendation preferably from professors or other academic contacts, but we will accept professional recommendations. Letters of recommendation are submitted electronically by the recommenders.
4. Academic transcripts from all institutions attended
5. Personal Statement: This statement should address why you are interested in attending graduate school in general and the Department of Communication at Saint Louis University specifically.
6. GRE scores
7. Students for whom English is a second language should also submit TOEFL scores.
The Department of Communication carefully reviews each applicant's material as a package to gain an overall understanding of his/her background, goals, and abilities. Subsequently, there are no minimum GRE or GPA requirements. Successful applicants typically have GRE scores in the range of 153 Verbal, 144 Quantitative, and 4.0 Analytical Writing with an overall GPA of 3.0 or above. The Graduate Committee may admit applicants whose scores vary from these guidelines based upon fit with our program, past experiences, or letters of recommendation.
Our program is reading and writing intensive. We have found that international students who achieve success in our program tend to have IBT TOEFL scores at or above 100/120 Total, 25/30 Reading, and 25/30 Writing.
General application deadlines:
Your completed application and all supporting documents should be received by:
• Summer Session - April 1
• Fall Semester - July 1 (International Students, May 1)
• Spring Semester - November 1(International Students, October 1)
Students who want to be considered for an assistantship must submit their application along with the request to be considered for an assistantship by January 15. The assistantship request goes directly to the department.